Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how does the NAP spitfire work >

how does the NAP spitfire work

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how does the NAP spitfire work

Old 03-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how does the NAP spitfire work

My neighbor shoots them on his crossbow bolts and he hit two deer this year and could not find them. He swares both were good hits, but obviously I can't be 100% about that. I was thinking of switching to mechanicals until his woes started. Then I figured, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Just my $0.02.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

My neighbor shoots them on his crossbow bolts and he hit two deer this year and could not find them. He swares both were good hits, but obviously I can't be 100% about that. I was thinking of switching to mechanicals until his woes started. Then I figured, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Just my $0.02.
This has been rehashed over and over. Your friend did not make good shots. If he had he would have two filled tags for this year regardless of the broadheads he used.

I do agree with the if it ain't broke part. If your broadheads are working, why switch?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:56 AM

I haven't had any issues with them. They fly great and function without flaw. I've had great kills on reindeer and whitetails using the Spitfire 125's. I have noticed that the practice blade inserts for them don't always group in with the actual blades though... just something to be aware of, buy a spare set of blades for practice. The thing I like most about them is the safety factor. I travel a lot and it's nice to know that if I have a broadhead get loose in my gear it's not going to ruin an expensive hunt nor do I have to worry about cutting a cable with them while nocking an arrow on game.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

This has been rehashed over and over. Your friend did not make good shots. If he had he would have two filled tags for this year regardless of the broadheads he used.
I totally agree. My thought is regarding questionable hits and how those results compare, but seeing as how I have no first hand experience I will just read what those who have used them say.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM

I said "Well over 50 lbs" not 50 lbs, since that is about what I shoot and they didn't work. There are some mechanicals that penitrate quite well with lower KE setups, however the Spitfires are not one of them.

Paul
Old 03-13-2007, 08:12 PM

The spitfires are not junky at all. Our whole family shoots them. But a tip:
IF YOU ARE SHOOTING FROM A BLIND (THROUGH THE SCREEN) OPEN YOUR SPITFIRE HEAD BEFORE SHOOTING, THAT WAY IT WONT OPEN WHILE PASSING THROUGH THE SCREEN AND YOU ARROW HITS RIGHT WHERE YOU WANT IT!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paul, sorry about that I just saw the 50 and got fixated on it. You are correct that there are a lot of good expandables out there that will work with lower KE, and I agree that the Spitfire is not one of them. I do know someone that shot a lower poundage bow and removed the shims in the Spitfires and retained the blades with rubber bands with a lot of success.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO they are unbeatable. I have only great things to say about them and i havent lost a deer yet when using them, something i cant say about other heads. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Paul, sorry about that I just saw the 50 and got fixated on it. You are correct that there are a lot of good expandables out there that will work with lower KE, and I agree that the Spitfire is not one of them. I do know someone that shot a lower poundage bow and removed the shims in the Spitfires and retained the blades with rubber bands with a lot of success.
No biggy, I could have worded it better as well. I have heard of that trick. I tried it goofing around, but never hunted with them that way. I was also shooting the 85 grn models with the smaller cutting dia.

Paul