Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how does the NAP spitfire work >

how does the NAP spitfire work

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how does the NAP spitfire work

Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default how does the NAP spitfire work

I have the NAP nitron broadhead and they fly realy well and they are cheaper than most broadheads,but does the NAP spitfire expandable fly as good as a broadhead.

Or are they junky
Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how does the NAP spitfire work

No, there not junk. IMO, they are one of the best mechanicals. I've used them for a few years and took both deer and turkey with them. I've gotten pass thru's that sliced ribs clean in two. My first shot at a deer this year was a bad shot, high and back, but didn't get a pass thru. Shot a Nitron a week later and missed. I wasn't feeling real good about my heads but reality was, it was the shooter. Anyway, I bought some Rage Slipcam 3 blades and used them the rest of the year. The Rage heads were awesome. I still think the Spitfires are good blades. Don't try to use them straight out of the package. Check all of the blades and make sure they are opening/locking just right. I've found most of them are too tight. There's a small metal shim with a divot that fits against a hole in the blade. I'll take the screw out, pull out the blade and shim, flatten the divot slightly or take a small screwdriver (like the ones in the eyeglass repair kits) or any other semi-pointy utinsel and tap the divot to make it bump up more. If the blades too tight, flatten it. If its too loose, make it protrude more. Play with them until you get them securing the blade good but easily releasing with a bit of pressure. I'll usually put just a dab of oil where the screw goes thru. Their no different than any other head in that you will need to resharpen/replace the blades after every shot, maybe two. I just buy the replacement blades.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

aeroslinger hit it right on the money, nap spitfires are not junk at all, i used them for years, but this past year i switched over to the rage slip cams, these' broadheads are awesome you wouldnt be dissapointed in either of the two..
Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those Spitfires ain't no joke! They leave a hell of a hole/bloodtrail. Ithink they're probably one of the best expandables out there.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:22 AM

They are good heads, but from what I have seen they require a bit more energy to use than some other mechanicals. Probably because they use friction to hold the blades in vrs a rubber band. I tried them to begin with and couldn't get pass throughs, neither could my buddy shooting an older darton set at 70 lbs. It didn't really make much more energy than my newer set up with a lower draw weight though. Both set ups were with arrows near 400 grn total arrow weight and shooting roughly 230 fps or so, maybe a bit less.

They worked as advertised though, opened up reliably and left a pretty large hole going in the deer. Shot just like my field points as well. I wasn't real impressed about tracking my first deer for 400 yards though. I took out one lung and the arrow stopped in the heart. I was 18 yards away from 16 feet up perfect broad side shot. I went to a fixed head and had no problems blowing right through deer. I also tried a mechanical with better penetration and they worked as well (Nail driver 2 blade heads).

I would say if you have well over 50 lbs of KE and a fairly heavy arrow they will work fine, if not you might want to consider using fixed blade heads instead.

Just my opinions though. I mostly hear good things about them.

Paul
Old 03-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

That deer had some serious stamina if it went 400yrds with one blown out lung and an arrow in it's heart!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 AM

It ran full bore until it dropped pretty much. Ran right down a trail until the very end. It didn't take out the heart either, the heart stopped the arrow so it didn't go all the way through it. Deer are AMAZINGLY motivated animals when they want to be. I have never had anything like that happen since.

I shot one last season from 20 yards with a 600 grn 12 ga magnum slug. Took out the lungs and top of the heart (seperated the arteries from the top of the heart). It ran about 100 yards jumping a fence along the way before it dropped.

Paul
Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 PM

I shot some of these for the first time this morning. The print maybe one inch left of the same weight field point - good enough for hunting. They are also about the easiest point to remove from the block 4X4 I have tried so far. We are going to blunt thepoint a little on them and use them for turkey hunting next month. I think I will stay with my G-5 Montecs for big game.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been using Spitfires for several seasons with great success. I have to disagree with Paul L Mohr a little bit though. I would recommend a minimum of 65 ft. lbs of energy for using them.

For example, Paul said he was shooting a 400 grain arrow 230 fps. That's only 47 ft. lbs of energy which IMO is far too low to shoot expandable heads.

I am one of the staunchest advocates of expandable broadheads as long as their appliacation is correct in term of the set up. It is the hunter's responsibility to make sure he/she has the energy to effectively use them and to know their limitations on taking angled shots.

OK, enough thread hijacking. Bottom line, Spitfires are one of the best broadheads out there. Quality components and well made.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 AM

I think I'll stick with my Slick's. No shims, divots, pins, hinges, movement, or energy restrictions. Just awesome 4-blade cutting and super penetration every time.

Quick Reply: how does the NAP spitfire work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.