Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Well that sucked. >

Well that sucked.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well that sucked.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Well that sucked.

Thought I'd share a quick story about my year...

So I'm 20 feet up a tree clearing for a tree stand... 2 seconds later I'm on the ground on my chest with what's left of my left arm underneath me. Clean break of my radial and Ulna, then shattered my radial head into 3 pieces. No bowhunting for me this last year... I did get a crossbow permit for the year and got out, but it definitely wasn't the same. First picture is of the big 7pt I hit too high at 30 yards. As soon as the arrow hit, I knew I wouldn't find him... 5 hours and 300 yards later I was right... 2 weeks later during that gun season my buddy's dad got him with 1/3 of my crossbow bolt and broadhead still stuck in his shoulder.

Gun season wasa bit better for me... I still couldn't hold the gun up with my left arm, but could still shoot with a rest. 100 yards away I see a buck in the brush with antlers pointing every direction. I think I see a drop tine, and I think I see sticker points. One shot and he goes down, then I walk up on him. His skull had been broken earlier in the year and rotated 180 degrees so the antler grew the wrong direction (this was confirmed when I tried the eurpoean mount). We skinned him and the skull plate fell right off with his antler still attached! He ended up being a typical 8 with 2 stickers to make him a 10.

Looking forward to shooting a bow again... even if it only at 45 pounds! Arm still isn't 100% and probably never will be, but it has healed enough to do a few things.

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESSES even if just planning on spending a few minutes up your tree... !!!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Well that sucked.

Sorry to hear about your arm. Hang in there. That's pretty wild buck there with the broken skull. They are simply amazing animals.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW......can't believe you were up a tree without a harness. Glad you are o.k. I would probably look at it as a good year since you came out of it with just a busted up arm.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could not agree anymoe about the safety harness, wear them!!!
That is a funky looking buck with the broken skull plate, it would fool ya for sure just looking at him, congrats on both bucks!! Hope the arm gets better.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope your arm heals fast. That is one crazy looking buck, congrats!