Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No work....hmmm, scouting time... >

No work....hmmm, scouting time...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No work....hmmm, scouting time...

Old 02-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Default No work....hmmm, scouting time...

Well guys, Monday was my last day at work, the business I worked for closed down, thankfully I have been saving up my money and have a good stash built up that is gonna allow me to have a nice break before I start my new job so it seems like I will have around two and a half months of free time and the wheels are already turning for this upcoming archery season. This should give me plenty of time to try and find the wide 11 point and get a good grasp on what he is up to (he made it through yet another season without getting tagged by a hunter) as well as give me some extra time to work of the cars that my father and I are restoring (73 Dodge Dart Sport and 71 Plymoth Road Runner).

I will be carrying the camera with me on my scouting trips so I will probablly be posting lots of photos.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No work....hmmm, scouting time...

Good luck on the scouting and the restorations. I'll be looking forward to some good pics. Sorry to hear about your job though. Hopefully it'll be for the better.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM

I think I'll be more interested in seeing pictures of those cars.

I'm restoring a '73 Maverick Grabber myself.

Good luck with the scouting, I look forward to seeing the photos.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I was telling a friend, last night......I wouldn't know where to start with scouting, right now. The herd I hunt is ......"elsewhere". I'm sure I could find them.....but I haven't seen more than 5 deer in one place in a month. I do know they're off the patterns they use when the season is in.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm off next Thursday so I'll get to get out and hang a couple of stands. This time of year is nice because the woods are open and you can cut good shooting lanes and entry/exit paths easily. I usually focus on pinch points(funnels), creek bottoms, ditch crossings, etc. I know what your saying GMMAT about them not being there right now buthopefully they will beback for the beans and corn in the fall. I will save a couple of stands to use during the rut(for areas that look real hot) and for hunting the random acorn bottoms.A couple of good things with doing it nowis thatthe deer have a long time to get over my "invasion" of their area and I have muchless work to do when bow season gets here. I don't leave my climbing sticks upand I put a little bit of oil/grease on the hardware of the stands to helpprotect them from the weather.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buck,

Good luck scouting, man would I love to have 2.5 months off this time of year for shed hunting and scouting. Take lots of photos and keep us posted. As for the MOPAR rigs... sounds cool. You guys have any Hemi's in either of those?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Best of luck to ya Buck Magnet. I went out scouting my land a few days ago. I learned two things. I stumbled on a nice bedding area. There were dozens and dozens of fairly fresh beds in the snow just inside the woodline of a field edge of 100 yards long or so. The second thing I learned is......... I'm seriously out of shape since bowhunting ended [8D]. I walked a loooooooooong way in some pretty deep snow and felt it the next day.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck to ya.! The late winter into early spring is the best time in the woods. You don't have to worry about bumping deer and you can look for sheds.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 PM

7 degrees here today. I got up, stoked the fire, walked the dogs, and have been sippin' coffee by that fire ever since.

I'm off until monday so I plan on getting 2 days of scouting in........that woodburning stove is tough to walk away from on days like today.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

why you lucky lil bugger! i've been wanting to go out some weekend but with filming and all and school, its been tough...hopefully you get some good pics when you do go tho!