Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 new york scouting first time >

new york scouting first time

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

new york scouting first time

Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default new york scouting first time

Im going up to my new propery in schuyler ny herkimer county to do some scouting...... Its the first time i ever really scouted up there and sort of the first time im doing a real, big scout. (Im 14) Exactly what should I look for besides tracks, poop and trails? I want to see where some bed and what time they travel through my property and where? Any help would be appreciated since Im leaving thursday morning
Thanks
Mike

Oh and i almost forgot.... im bringing up my 2 wildview trail cams with some corn...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new york scouting first time

I would look for what kind of food sources, and bedding areas your area holds. Apples, Oaks, Beech are all highly attractive in fall to deer. Glass the tree's for fruit & nuts. Look for thickets, pine wooded sections for bedding spots. Oh, and also what water sources have. Take a map with you, and mark these down, or draw yourself one. You can look for tracks & trails now, but doesn't mean deer will be using them come fall. Think ahead in fall terms!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

As you haven't mentioned the size of the property, when you consider the previously mentioned advice by Buckalleyrealize that the scouting should include all of the neighboring properties andany local farms, fields or other food and water sources as your property may just be a pass through area. Bring your bicycle if you won't have someone with a car to drive you. Also aside from the legal implications the corn idea may give you anunrealistic assessment of the area and while I don't think anything is morally wrong with it be careful because others may take this sport and the law a bit more seriously and some people may be inclined to look down on an illegal activity that they may not consider sporting or may increase the chance of CWD infection.In other words, you are 14 so starting off your hunting career bytelling everyone you will break the lawisn't the smartest thing to do. Double check the regson that corn idea. Bestof luck.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Idownloaded the free version of Google Earth and got a satellite image of the 140 acres that i hunt. It allowed me to locate key areas and see my terrain. From my map I can locate food and possible bedding areas. Then I go the area with a print out and scout out the trails and where I plan to set-up my trail cams.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I went for the past 3 days.... I also went last fall and many of the trails that looked to be used in the fall are not so much used now. I also found out that I have tons of wild rasberrys on the property with 1 huge area full of them. I brought my climbing stand with me and put it out on a trail near some rasberries...I went out at 6 pm and it wasnt 25 minutes until a little spike in velvet came in. I was so excited! I also noticed that the deer were in the neighboring property fields in most times of the day. Oh yah, the property is 70 acres... We made a few quading trails on the property and were riding them a decent amount for the 3 days that were there.... how long or would it scare the deer away?
Thanks
Mike