Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you hide behind a decoy?!! >

Would you hide behind a decoy?!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you hide behind a decoy?!!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you hide behind a decoy?!!

I would really consider the antelope decoy as long as I knew who was around. (Excluding poachers and tresspassers.)
I have used them for turkey for a long time with no bad experiences. Of couse I always am on the lookout for other hunters trying to sneek in on my setup.
I would hope that even poachers would be able to tell the diference between a flat lifeless antelope decoy and the real thing.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I don't live behind fears. In archery season there should not be any deer shot with guns, sure the possibility exists but possibilities don't keep me on the couch, keep me from climbing into a treestand, keep me from hiding a motorcycle or driving my truck. There's always a possibility for an accident but yet we procede with much more dangerous tasks than using dekes in this manner.

Especially for Pronghorn, it is a very effect means to an end and one I wouldn't mind trying. I am headed to Wyo. with many members here in 09 for Pronghorn and stalking with a deke seems like a great alternative to sitting all day in a blind. Proactive hunting.

What about hanging a turkey deke out in front of you, not much different but set up accordingly. Again, there are much more dangerous things you could do.
I agree. Especially when hunting antelope or caribeau. Would i stand behind a buck decoy on public ground during rifle season? Probably not but if i am on private ground where i know who hunts it and around it i wouldnt have a problem. Also, if your hunting antelop and caribeau you probably dont have to worry a whole lot about runing into other hunters.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM

To each is own. I personally don't see what the big deal is, as long as you set up corectly. Have you guys ever heard of tombstoning? During spring gobbler if you get a bird hung up, within sight but too far to shoot you can hold up a turkey fan. I've heard people who's tried it say they will come in on a string. I don't think I would do that, but if I had a bunch of land to myself I might.