Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how do you tan a hide? >

how do you tan a hide?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do you tan a hide?

Old 01-01-2003, 11:51 PM

Default how do you tan a hide?

I was just wondering how i could i tan my hide by my self, or perserve it. Thanks James

Edited by - jamesp59 on 01/02/2003 00:53:21
Old 01-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how do you tan a hide?

Well, go out behind the woodshed. It's gonna hurt. Better if someone else does it (like your girlfriend) Just kiddin'

Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

pick up a vandykes or any other big name taxidermy catalog. Also some trapping catalogs have them in there. There is some home solutions out there, the name eludes me, or you can buy kits realitivly cheap from the taxidermy catalogs.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several solutions out there that you can purchase for tanning your hide hair on or hair off. I sometimes do my own and sometimes I send them out to a company that does them for me.Vandykes, Wasco and even Cabelas sell solutions for hide tanning and there not real expensive.I used a solution from cabelas called DEER HUNTERS HIDE TANNING FORMULA 8oz bottle will tan one deer hide( TO TAN HAIR ON )You start by cleaning the hide of all flesh and fat. Salt the flesh side of the hide thoughly using table salt ( I found a large buck requires about 6 to 8 containers of salt each time ) fold the hide up using flesh on flesh fold and roll up let sit for 24 hours.Scrape off old salt and resalt hide and fold flesh on flesh and roll up and let sit another 24 hours. Scrape off salt. Prepare a salt bath by mixing 1/2 lb of table salt per gallon of hot water. Mix until all salt is melted and water has cooled and emerse hide in salt bath. I use a large rock to weight down hide and keep it submarged in the salt bath because it will want to float up out of the water. Let the hide sit submerged for up to 16 hours or until the hide is soft and flexable. Remove hide and rinse and let drain. Use a sharp item to remove any remaining membrane from hide. Wash hide with warm water and Dawn dish soap to remove all salt and fat from hide. Rinse clean and hang to drain.When hide is drained and still soft and flexable and at room temp warm hide solution in hot water and apply to flesh side of hide using rubber gloves or paint brush. Massage into all areas of the hide. Fold the hide with the solution on it flesh on flesh and let sit for 16 hours at room temp away from direct heat. Open the hide up and let the drying process begin this will take around 3 days. As the hide drys periodically pull and stretch the hide until soft and flexable. If there are still some stiff spots just dampen with warm water and reapply solution. Once all this is done you can further soften hide by thinning hide using coarse sandpaper or a wire wheel or running hide over a heavey hemp rope.
Or you can send your hide to a tanner. I use a company that does very nice work but you will have to wait for close to a year to get your hide back, SEBRING CUSTOM TANNING #(863)655-1600 BLDG. 727,Sebring Air Terminal. Sebring, FL 33870. They charge around $20.00 to tan a hide with the hair on. Good Luck with your hide.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good info Lady Fourge I'm sure many members of this board are intrested in this subject . One resource I've found on the web is
http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/01/mammaltan.html

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place
Old 01-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

jsut from my own personal experience if you send it off it may cost a little more but it is well worth it.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

One method called "dry scrape tanning" is where you salt the hide. This preserves the hide so after the hide is salted you have as long as you want to tan it.

Tack the hide on a big board, clean all the meat off of it, and cover the entire hide with about an inch of salt. Work the first layer of salt in real good. When you scrape the salt off you scrape the membrain off too so that saves alot of energy. Just leave the salty hide in a garage untill the hide turns off white. Then scrape it. Done. Then you can go about tanning. THe easiest way to tan it is with the deer hunters/trappers hide tanning formula. The van dykes thing takes too long, and forget anything you read about "pickling" the hide, it is useless.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-02-2003, 08:42 PM

I have sent my hides to a place called WB Place in Hartford WI I found them on line at WWW.WBPLACE.com it tells you on there web site how to prepare the hide and where to send it. I have two up there now made into leather they will tan hair on also but much more expensive. I have had every deer that I have gotten taned I don't wast anything as I an into Black powder also and use the antlers for bottons on my outfit and powder messueres. Good luck and hope that you save all you can of your kill. Had a billfold made many years back and you can't buy one that will last any longer than one made from your own hide.Good luck with yours Round Ball!!!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Roundball; I used to use WBPLACE until I found Sebring Custom Tanning. WBPLACE charged around $49.00 to tan a hide with the hair on and Sebring only charges around $20.00( not including shipping to and from tanner ) to tan a hide with the hair on.They both do quality work. I also make antler buttons for clothing and crafts. Its amazing how many buttons you can make at the band saw out of one antler.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:39 PM

You are right as tanning with hair on they are a little higher but made into leather they are right on. this is the first year I have used them before I used Midwest sport togs but I could not find them on line this year and couldn't find an old catolog. you are right I make knives, nipple picks and powder measures bottons and things out of them I use every thing I can out of my kills. Good to hear from you