Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TRACKING BLACKTAILS >

TRACKING BLACKTAILS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TRACKING BLACKTAILS

Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TRACKING BLACKTAILS

what area are you hunting blacktails? CA or OR or WA??? will make a huge differnce in tracking them, but on a general note you cannot track them. Our season in CA 90% of our hunting areas don't have snow to affectively track and the terrian does not allow one to track...you don't see a nice trail leading to a feeding are or bedding area like you see in the whitetail hunting shows...blacktails are not ones you are able to pattern as well especially latter in the season (anything past the first few weeks of archer season) .. some say they are harder to hunt than whitetails others say whitetails are harder??? if you have any specific questions fell free to ask
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 AM

you don't see a nice trail leading to a feeding are or bedding area like you see in the whitetail hunting shows
I wish it were that easy. Have you noticed you only see hunting shows that take place around the rut,and in nice weather,or they are in "bad conditions to still prevail. usually those shows are so embelished. I spent over 200hrs of free time in the woods thisseason, still no records. Anyways...blacktail sound pretty similar to whitetail! I can't say where the challenge envelope is pushed until i hunt some, but thanks for the gained knowledge.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The blacktails that i am hunting are in Oregon, in pretty thick brush, there are hardly any clearings. They seem to be active around noon, i dont know why. There is a spring that they go to, so do you think i should set a ground blind or a treestand next to it. Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

active around noon? that is very odd...what time of year? august, sep., nov.? .. if during the hunting season you seem them reguarly visit a spring that is great!! i would 100% put up a tree stand, in the thick cover it is good to be above ground to catch them moving in the brush as they will focus on the ground very hard to see what is around...just make sure you have a good enter and exit route to and from the stand and place it in a good spot based on usual wind patterns in that area.....don't put up trail cams directly there but maybe on a trail leading to that spring so as not to spook the mature deer that go to the spring directly..