Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blacktails

Old 09-21-2002, 11:18 PM

Default Blacktails

I need some input from some folks with experiance with these critters. Even though I have lived in Washington state most of my life, with a 4 year stint in Montana as a hunting guide, I have almost zero experiance with the Blktails.

I have a couple ???

Do you hunt them like Whitetails? Do they make scrapes? Do the buck grunt calls work on them? When in Wa do these guys go into the rut? Do the does make the same bleat calls as the whitetails? I feel like a total amature when it comes to this one and I would appreciate any help my fellow arrow slingers would care to give. Thanks one and all.

PS. I have been chasing these guys for a couple weeks now and have only seen 1 little 2point buck. My guess is that the big boys only come out in the middle of the night?
Old 09-22-2002, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Blacktails

Anyone?
Old 09-22-2002, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

this sight might be helpful. www.blacktailcountry.com

Deer are deer. They will make scrapes and rubs simmilarly to Whitetails. Here in So. OR. they go into rut some time in November.

I have never hunted for Whitetails, but I have used the calls and sents designed for them with success. There are a few companies that make sents just for Blacktails, I cant think of they're names off the top of my head.

Usually the Archery season is early in the year. I think today is the last day of the early season. My deer hunting for the year is usually done by now. The best time to find these ghosts are early early in the morning, or late in the evening. They are extremly nocturnal. My dad and I have stands we hunt in the mornings. If you haven't seen deer by 10:00 it means they have probably used a different route. During the rut however it is nonstop action all day long. If you're season is later say in November/December than it can be worth the wait.

Try to find a wintering ground. Blacktails are known for traveling great distances out of the high mountains to winter. This is not always the case, but where I hunt there is 10' of snow in the winter. YOu won't find the deer in the same areas in the winter as you would in the summer. I don't know what you're hunting area looks like but it is food for thought. Good luck

I am no expert, but all I have hunted for the past 20yrs are Mulies and Blacktails. I can't begin to tell you the habbits of Whitetails.

Andrew
>>>--------->X<---------<<<
Old 09-22-2002, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the info! That site is very helpful to say the least! Thanks Andrew, Tim