Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the strangest thing you've seen while bowhunting? >

What's the strangest thing you've seen while bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the strangest thing you've seen while bowhunting?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 PM

Default RE: What's the strangest thing you've seen while bowhunting?

I cant believe i havent posted this sooner but in November i was hunting out of my treestand. It was a slow night and was starting to get dark when nature called. So standing out of the front of my treestand i took a leak onto the tree in front of me so as not to make too much noise. So im going and all of a sudden a small flying squirrel flew onto the tree i was peeing on just above crotch level. Mind you my person was less then a foot away from the little guy. Thank God i was wearing a harness because i just about jumped out of the tree.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Neat things are the critters. I love to watch hawks and squirrels play the game of life. I loved it when a nuthatch decided to land on the arrow on my bow string. He stood there, looked around and flew off. I've had a bird land on my foot. I had a hawk dive bomb me when I was playing "Wink the eyeball at the Hawk and make a squeeking sound". I just love it out there.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 AM

Well, I have two good ones, but neither one happened while I was hunting.

One I was driving home one night, about 10:00 pm, with my drivers window down, passenger window up and the heater on a little to keep fog off the window. Well, I was going around a curve and I saw a blur in front of my face and heard a loud crack. Some critter flew into (and by into I mean INSIDE) my open truck window and crashed against the other. I looked over and it was an owl. If it would have hit be in the head I probably would have died (maybe not from the impact, but from swerving off the road and taking out a lot of trees). It just knocked the owl out, which I wrapped up in a shirt and put in a cat carrier at my house when I got home like 5 minutes later. That was cool.

The other one I was in a jacuzzi outside in mid-november around my birthday when I got out and went around the wooden fence to take a leak real quick. Well mind you it was really dark and the middle of the fricken country, and started peeing when I hear this God-awful sound and see this buck in front of me, like 5 feet away. I about died, I thought for sure he was going to come after be, I didn't even get to finish I just ran back into the house with my shorts half down.

I wish I would have seen him during season though, would have been a nice addition to the wall.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:23 AM

A couple years back I was hunting my favorite stand overlooking a cut corn field. Beyond the field was a thick row of mature woods bordering a river with a large open field on the other side. For about 20 minutes or so all I could hear was this loud noise coming from the field across the river. Sort of a cross between a revved-up engine and a flame thrower. Next thing I know, there is a hot-air balloon rising over the trees and flying over my head. I waved, they waved back. Never saw any deer that morning.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Also watched a pair of hound dogs drown a racoon.
I'd love to have seen that fight.

I guess the best thing was the 5 pointer I had bed down 14 yds from me, this year. He waited on the other deer to come out......and then he initiated the first of four sparring matches I saw, that day, between 6 different little bucks.

I also watched 4 bucks work the same scrape, one morning.

I saw a doe peeing on her tarsals, this year.

My son and I saw 65 turkeys enterour set on Thanksgiving morning '05.

I saw a deer I estimate @ 5+ yrs (doe).....and was amazed at what a REAL mature deer looked like.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Things saw while hunting .......

I watched a bull elk fall off a several hundred foot bluff after being shot. A very long fall, impossible to retrieve the meat, ever leg on that bull was broke, back broken, a 5x5 rack reduced to a brow tine on one side and one on the other. Never heard of anything like that before.

I was in a wind storm in Colorado where trees were falling all around – the worst part was when those tree’s snapped and fell, they would roll downhill and knock everything in their way down. That kind of stuff gets your attention. One fell and landed 2 steps from our tent – uncomfortable nights sleep to say the least.

Snow storms with thunder and lightening always amaze me, I’ve only seen a couple of them.
I was in NE New Mexico and in one of the rim rocked canyons I could see BOTH ends of a rainbow. VERY COOL

I watched two mule deer fawns eating the tops out of blue flowers one morning, they were VERY close, and they never knew I was around. Amazing to watch animals like that.

I wiggled my finger at a hawk one day in a stand and he took the bait coming at me full force. I freaked out at the last second, he freaked out too and we avoided a major conflict. I’ve never enticed a hawk or owl since.

I kicked a mule deer doe in the butt one morning – closest I’ve ever been to a deer. She grunted and KNEW she was had when I did it !

I got ran out of my elk camp one mid-day by a sow black bear and 3 cubs. I sat on a rock 150 yards away and watched them eat and tear up my whole camp. Bears love summer sausage, granola bars and especially hot chocolate packets.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

The strangest thing I've seen was watching two bull elk, that I jumped, run right plum over a small grizzly bear. The bear had piled out of the brush stopping me in my tracks, but the elk couldnt see him through the brush. That bear rocked back on his haunches, took a swipe at one of the elk, spun around 180 deg. wondering what the heck? The woods fell quiet, and I then realized I was the only thing there to get this very irritated bear's attention. So I scuttled down the hill at a pretty rapid pace laughing my arse off, found my friends who where calling for me and told them that we were leaving the area.