Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Strangest thing I' ve seen >

Strangest thing I' ve seen

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strangest thing I' ve seen

Old 10-28-2003, 09:09 AM

Default Strangest thing I' ve seen

I was hunting Oct 25th evening in western Illinois and shot a nice doe. She died about thirty yards from my stand. I continued to sit quietly and about twenty minutes later, I saw an average 8-point buck making scrapes about fifty yards uphill from me. He started down the trail towards my stand, saw the doe, and veered off trail towards her. For the next five minutes or so, he pawed at her, licked her nasty-bits and even tried to mount her. Finally, her tired of this and went and tore a small tree to shreds. My guess is that when she died, she released some urine which is probably just starting to have some pheromones in it. Has anyone else witnessed behavior like this?? Good luck and hunt hard.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:23 AM

Default RE: Strangest thing I' ve seen

To be honest I think I heard of this happening in a movie staring Ron Jeramy. No, but seriously this is about the strangest thing I' ve ever heard of. I' ve heard of deer standing over another dead deer and calling out but never mounting a dead deer. [] I hope you washed her off good!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Yup, had a very near exact experience happen a couple years ago with a very big 9 point. He was about 3 steps away from catching a Thunderhead when he spied the doe about 40 yards from me. He had already walked past her. He did an about face and went to her where she was balled up against a big oak. He pawed a little and sniffed her from head to toe. He did this for a minute or two and then sensed it wasn' t right. He high stepped it back where he came from. A friend of mine dropped a monster 8 point with a rifle in Georgia one year. He dropped where he stood stone dead at the shot. He was intermingled with his harem of 5 does. He said two or 3 of them kept coming back to him an nudging him with their noses and pawing him in an attempt to get him on his feet again. They finally took off when he climbed down and walked to withing 20 yards of them.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:49 PM

Default My dad had it happen last year in IL

He killed a doe about 7:30(she came through behind me and I couldn' t get a shot). She must' ve been hot(it was the Friday after thanksgiving) because about 5 min. later a basket rack 8 pt came in and spotted me and bolted(I was hunting about 250 yds down the woodline from him). In about another 5 min. a fork horn comes through right on the trail she was on grunting with his nose to the ground. He goes down to where she expired and paws enough hair out of her to make a coat out of . He finally got so tired of pawing her trying to get her to get up, he just bedded down beside her. Those IL deer must have extra labedo.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:32 PM

The same exact thing happened to the doe I shot this weekend!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I never seen something that strange while hunting. However when i driving back from montana. I was in northern Idaho and i saw a group of does up the road futher pawing at something. As i was getting closer to this group i noticed there was a dead buck that was hit by a car probably just a few minutes before i saw the group (my guess was by a few mins). I noticed that one particular doe was not only pawing the buck but was also sniffing and licking at it.[X(]
Old 10-28-2003, 04:40 PM

last year during rifle season i was on public land near a lake. i saw a guy in a canoe tied to a log in a small cove pleasuring himself. he was either pleasuring himself or he had a bad case of poison ivy. it ruined my hunt because i just had to move and it ruined my appitite.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I shot a nice seven point that was standing over the doe that I had killed earlier. I was following her blood trail when I came upon the buck standing over the doe. He was watching me but gave no indication of being spooked. I unslung the rifle, got a bead and dropped him. Ever since then I have thought of dead does as the best decoys you could have ;?)
Steve
Old 10-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

A few years ago while floating the Upper Delaware River flyfishing, I saw a guy dancing along the riverbank, running a gas powered " Weed Whacker" completely naked![][X(](Well he did have sneakers and socks on)

After that it' s gonna take something " special" to to take the #1 " Weirdest Sights in Nature" spot for me.

Sorry not hunting related but..........

Old 10-29-2003, 06:05 PM

it hasn' t happen to me but i' ve heard of it. i think i saw that ron jeremy movie and i think that happened in that to.

Quick Reply: Strangest thing I' ve seen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.