Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..?? >

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

I'm with dwd on this one. When I went with lighter arrows I didn't get the results I was used to when shooting deer. Went back to a set up of med weight and I was happy again. I spined a deer(not intended placement so no ethics police needed)this year at 30 yards and still penatrated one lung completely. Arrow was 3/4 buried. I was shooting a 2006Alegence at 275 fps and everyoneknows what that bow is capable of as far as speed so I was way below what it can shoot because I chose a heavier arrow.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 PM

OH boy, you must have had a fight with the little woman and want to fight.
LOL, yeah, it would appear that way, wouldn't it?? Actually though, no, not at all. I just get tired of the "Which bow" threads, and "Are Blazers any good" threads, ect. ect.......This one I thought would provoke some thought. I am interested in what guys like yourself....(how to put this delicately,,,,,,) That have been doing this for years ( how's that?) feel about this. The technology is such that I just feel like it's not as big a factor as it was......a few years ago.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats wierd, I haven't had an arrow that didn't pass thru in the last 10 years, no kidding. All pass thrus.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

I'm with dwd on this one. When I went with lighter arrows I didn't get the results I was used to when shooting deer. Went back to a set up of med weight and I was happy again. I spined a deer(not intended placement so no ethics police needed)this year at 30 yards and still penatrated one lung completely. Arrow was 3/4 buried. I was shooting a 2006Alegence at 275 fps and everyoneknows what that bow is capable of as far as speed so I was way below what it can shoot because I chose a heavier arrow.
Same here Rick with an arrow to the light side, spined this years buck...but read my last reply. I'm in favor of a heavier side arrow but I love my ACC's and am hard pressed giving them up. I don't ever not have an exit hole but haven't had a pass through yet with these arrows. I preach as heavy carbon as you can get great flight with regardless of speed. ArthurP will set us straight with heavy vs light arrows...lol

A good medium is right on the money of both weight and speed.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ah, I see....at 70 lbs I'm producing 80 ft lbs.... but you see, I cannot tell you the last time my arrow passed completely through an animal. I have entrance and exit holes but not arrow sticking behind the animal. Actually, it was before my ACC's....they weigh in at 381 including the 100 grain head. A heavier arrow will slow my bow but my KE will remain the same however the heavier arrow will have better penetration. I've killed 5 bucks with these arrows out of two different bows, no complete pass throughs, again exit wounds but the arrow remained in the animal.

There is a good reason for heavier arrows.
I have had the opposite results. I have never NOT had a complete pass through on a whitetail buck or doe. I usually hunt from 370-390 grains. A few of these whitetails were well over 200 pounds live weight as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Ah, I see....at 70 lbs I'm producing 80 ft lbs.... but you see, I cannot tell you the last time my arrow passed completely through an animal. I have entrance and exit holes but not arrow sticking behind the animal. Actually, it was before my ACC's....they weigh in at 381 including the 100 grain head. A heavier arrow will slow my bow but my KE will remain the same however the heavier arrow will have better penetration. I've killed 5 bucks with these arrows out of two different bows, no complete pass throughs, again exit wounds but the arrow remained in the animal.

There is a good reason for heavier arrows.
Rob your deer must have brick internals . I honestly can't tell you the lastanimal(hogs included)my arrow didn't pass completely through...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 PM

Keep on track fellas....keep on track.....

Both of my deer were pass through's this year as well. One was buried 6" deep in the ground, the other I just couldn't find...I don't think it ever stopped..... Rob, I agree those ACC's are mighty fine arrows, I almost hate to give them up, but they just weigh too much....Superlite or no.....
Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't explain it, the last 5 bucks I've taken from 2000-2006 I have not passed through.

One gut shot, see recovery thread buck...no pass through, recovered the deer with arrow in the cavity.

3 bucks, perfect double lungs, no pass through, recovered animals with arrow in cavity.

This years buck was a spine so that's understandable.

Again, can't explain it, you have to figure all but 80 ft lbs on an arrow at 301 this year, slightly less the last 5 with an arrow at 285 fps....
Anyone?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:57 PM

Yep. Mechanical broadheads. You have been using Snyper's, yes? They just eat up the KE......of course, you've also used Muzzy......so that blows that theory out of the water....
Old 12-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Something isn't adding up there Robby boy. Are you shooting deer with blunts?

Quick Reply: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.