Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Success?

Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Success?

There is a ton of useful information and a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site. There are guys and gals who have hunted for years and have first hand knowledge of what it takes to be a successful hunter.

I wonder sometimes about all of the gadgets and "new" and "improved" gear. It is presented at times as if it is a necessity to have the newestBowon the market or the latest camo, or the this or that (insert any call/lure/scent free whatever here.

Honestly do you guys feel these things are that important or are they really just toys for grown boys?

My bow is 7 years old. It did the job 7 years ago and it does the job today.

My camo is a hodgepoge of assorted patterns. A lot of it is old, faded, ripped too small and too big. I cannot remember the last time I was "busted" because a deer saw me. I try to sit still.

My boots are old, but still keep my feet warm and are finally comfortable.

I put leaves, dirt and pine needles with my hunting clothes when I store them.

I scout by foot and while on stand to gain knowledge of the deer movement.

When I practice patience, I have killed mature animals. When I get impatient I normally kill immature animals. Most of the time I am lucky.

If you had to describe to someone what makes you successful would it include your bow, camo, boots, treestand etc, or would it include your patience and approach?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Success?

Just stuff to make us feel better. Your rightwe don't need it all but there are a lot of things in life that we don't needbut what the heck they are there why not use them. I have had my bow since 01 or 02. i love it and wouldn't get rid of it for nothing. But I do buy some of the " gimmick" stuff just to see. When it comes down to it all you need is a bow that will shoot an arrow where you want it and a trail for a deer to walk down.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just stuff to make us feel better. Your rightwe don't need it all but there are a lot of things in life that we don't needbut what the heck they are there why not use them. I have had my bow since 01 or 02. i love it and wouldn't get rid of it for nothing. But I do buy some of the " gimmick" stuff just to see. When it comes down to it all you need is a bow that will shoot an arrow where you want it and a trail for a deer to walk down.
Agreed Copper. I guess what I am saying isa lot of people on this site talk more about the toys that about the techniques. Just has me scratching my head
Old 12-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Gus:

I learned a LOT by coming here and reaping the benefis of the topics that are discussed. I'll say this, though....there's NO substitute for time afield. No target practice ......no books.....no maps.....no forum is going to allow you to learn YOUR area as much as being in the field hunting.

Second to that is scouting.

ALL the mistakes I made this year....allowed me to have a successful season. I learned from them all. If you don't learn something....every time out (even if it's where the deer AREN'T at a certain time of year/day...and you learn/think where they MIGHT be).....well....I hope I continue to learn every time out. I've got a phrase I use when I "learn" something afield. I say that was "worth the price of admission". I try to look for such things every time I'm out. I am RARELY cheated out of them.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as all the new gadgets and toys, that's all they are....something to play around with to see if it can help you as a hunter perform better in the field. One of the best all around hunters I know (and the absolute best turkey hunter I know) doesn't care about all the "frills". He goes out in what most people wouldn't even consider camo and with an older bow or gun, but he can out hunt anyone I know. Expierence is the best tool any of us can obtain and some of those gadgets and new things may help get more expierence faster. Don't know until you try...
Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 PM

[/align]Time in the field is the largest part of the equation for success .My buddies call me the luckiest hunter they know but in truth I spend more time afield than all of them put together .
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can say this about a new bow. My previous bow was 10 years old. Sure it can kill a deer. I've taken almost 2 dozen with it in those ten years.

But just recently I purchased a new bow. A Diamond Victory from Gander Mountain. Maybe not in the league with Switch Backs and Trykons but much more advanced than my old bow. All I can say is.......

WOW!

I can not believe how well I can shoot this bow. I am amazed at the advancements they have made in ten years. I can shot groups at 40 yds that rival groups at 20 yds with my old bow. I won't even shoot 2 arrows at the same target at 20 yds. It shoots that good.

So yes, I'd say that a new bow can really help you with bagging a deer. I just know that I have taken many, many deer with archery tackle in my 30 years of hunting. But I have to say, my confidence has soared with the purchase of this bow.

As far as camo, I can see me getting some of that Enigma in the future.

I think the advancements in equipment do have an impact on success but still you need to have some experience under your belt to get the full effect from it.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say my equipment has very little to do with my success. I took just as many deer with old army drab six pockets and a Jennings split tees than I have with realtree and a Alpine Yukon. If I had to sum up my success it would be #1 if your not hunting you can't kill a deer if Bob spend's 80 hrs. a year on stand and I spend 400 then the chances of me killing a P&Y every year are the same as Bob killing one every 5 yrs. #2 If you want a mature deer don't kill a yearling. #3 Stay clean and hunt the wind. #4 Learn to find key points in properties or what I call center and main learning how to find these places will come with experience and time spent in the woods.