Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you go to a proshop >

Did you go to a proshop

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you go to a proshop

Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Did you go to a proshop

I got my first bow at a garage sale an Golden Eagel had everything on it inculding six arrows plus a bow case all for a meer $150.00 dollars.
When I needed work done on it I took to my local pro -shop , sure I had to pay for his service's but over time getting arrows fletched and buying license's though the years we got a friendship going.
After 12 to 13 years of shooting that old bow and it came time to get an upgrade I went back to him and shot some of the bows he sells.
When I decided on one , not only did he gave me a good deal but he made sure I was all set up and ready to take it in to woods at no extra charge and that my friends is well worth going back and supporting your local pro - shop.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

You can find a ton of nice bows in all kinds of places. You just need to know your draw length,that will be the most important thing.
Totally, once you have your draw length and a little education, you can pick up a bow just about anywhere. Again, draw length and education.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:04 PM

Does your pro shop carry previous year's bows? They should have a section of discounted bows that people have sold/traded in for something new.

Check into those, you should be able to pick up an '05 or '06 model for a couple hundred less than a brand new model.

At least go into the shop and start talking to them. Tell them the situation you're in and get all the help from them that you can. Unless they're really swamped or are just jerks like the guys running our shop they should be able to help you figure out everything you'll need. You may not purchase it from them because of financial restraints, but at least you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for and possibly have started to develop a friendship with the folks at the shop.

Show them you're genuinely interested in learning about archery and I think they'll be more willing to lend you a hand when time permits.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wanted to bowhunt BAD this year...and needed ALL the gear...but didnt wanna break the bank...i found huntersfriend.com ..i was hesitant at first...but decided to go ahead. i bought a reflex highlander package..figured out my draw legnth using their method recomended...bow came a week later tuned and setup and adjusted..within 50 shots at 15yds i robinhooded an arrow!! i never shot a real bow in my life before this...i read ALOT online about proper form etc...and my bow fit well and was tuned well.

AND...in my area...shops dont care if you bought it here or there or where your getting charged PERIOD! sure if you buy it BRAND new they may set it up ONCE...but huntersfriend DID that for me. after my string broke in i noticed..and my arrows were toooo long and spine was bad for my BHs so i had to goto a shop..i had it retuned and my arrows all cut and refletched!. they didnt give me a hard time at all. i noticed a poster..said if you bought it there and have proof any work is half price of people who bought elsewhere...tuning for customers is 5$...for me with a bow i bought elsewhere was 10. setup..i wouldnt pay anyone to tighten screws..sure it needs tuned..10$..so for me it really didnt make a diffrence...the shop knows me by name now and hook me up with deals already...

im also the kinda guy that rather do my own work...slowly but surely ill be buying stuff to make my OWN personal proshop...
Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 PM

I really think that especially for your first bow you should go to a good pro shop.
Yep, you will pay a little more but in the long run I feel it will be worth it.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Yeah, you can do it....just don't call your proshop and want them to set it up for you RIGHT NOW....we get that all the time....."Hey, I bought this bow from .....I need it this weekend, if I bring it in can you set it up for me tonight??"

First off, why didn't the place you bought it from set it up (if it's bass pro or something?) Secondly, we have paying customers that are in front of you...Don't expect us to drop everything we are doing because you didn't get your bow set up right from "that place." Oh sure, we'll get to it, and we'll do it right, but we aren't gonna get to it "right now."
Exactly!!! I support and buy off of my local proshop because it is the service after the sell that is important to me plus I want to support the local small businessman. I would never buy a bowoff of the internet, Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Scheels. Go to the small local proshops in your area and your purchase price will be rewarded with great followup service.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:35 AM

Have you asked your local shop or shops if they can get you into something a bit cheaper. I mean if you are looking at a specific bow see if they can order it for you. Just because they don't have it in stock doesn't mean they can't get it for you if you want it. As long as it's a line they carry.

Just don't expect them them to meet or beat an internet or big chain store price. That is hard for them to do.

Let them know what you are looking for and how much you can afford to spend. They should be able to work with you. Or if they are a good shop they will tell you why they can't. Some of these cheap bows are not that impressive and you would be better off saving up the money to get something better, and they know that. It isn't just about them making money, I don't think the mark up on bows is that high. They want you to be a happy customer. And selling you cheap bow that may give you problems later, or you won't be happy with doesn't help either of you.

They should be able to get you into a decent bow for 3 or 4 hundred dollars though. You don't have to spend 8 or 9 hundred to get a good bow. My most expensive bow I have was under $600 for the bare bow.

I am a fairly experianced archer and I still get my bows from a pro shop. I am lucky enough to have several good ones in my area though. I could easily get a bow from ebay or something and set it up, but I like the service I get from a good shop. They let me test out different bows to see how they feel and set them up different and answer any questions I have and give me their opinions on equipment.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I've been to pretty much every proshop in my area and like someone said earlier, they can't beat the prices that I've seen on the internet or at some of the larger retail chains. I found one that was close to my house and the kid trying to sell me the bow didn't know ANYTHING about archery. I don't know, I'll probably go back when a more experienced salesperson is there because I did see a bow made by Parker that fit my price range. Then you go on websites like huntersfriend.com and they say they can get you set up and ready to shoot as soon as your bow arrives at your door. You have to admit, that sounds prettydarn good. Thanks for everyones advice. I think I'll visit the remaining shops in the area and see what they have to offer. After that, who knows...Thanks again guys.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:15 AM

Just be careful with those "pre set up" Parkers.....They aren't set up to you specifically, so they will need some adjusting. But I know what you are saying about price....But it will end up costing more in the long run...trust me.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I truly have never been in one that after leaving I thought that shop had my best interests at heart, butbased on some here who work in or own one, I know that they do exist.

True story. Last season in a shop where we hunted some guy walked in and said something about being new to bow hunting and had seen a deer sign in the woods. He asked what he should do. Almost a dozen products later he headed out with enough stink to scent 100 acres.It was the same shop that sold my brother a string almost2"'s too long and told him that the Hoyt recommended string length was wrong. He was stuck away from home and had no other choice. I heard the story from him when we met back up.

Get educated. Figure out which one you want. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Archery takes time, if you want instant gratification your in the wrong "sport" "life style" "addiction".

You can do it!