Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you go to a proshop >

Did you go to a proshop

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you go to a proshop

Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Did you go to a proshop

I've been on the forum for a little while and have read numerous posts regarding the importance of going to a proshop to get properly fitted when you are initially looking into getting started with the sport of archery.Guys I've been to quite a few proshops and most of their bows are VEERRYY expensive (at least to me they are). My question is has anyone here had any successbuying a bow from somewhere else (i.e. the internet, searching the newspaper, ebay, etc.) and then getting set up later? I saw a PSE Nova package at the local Academy Outdoors forunder $300.00. I've also seen several in the local newspaper for different prices, not to mention websites like huntersfriend.com. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here but I just want to know if its possible to get a nice bow and have it tuned or set up for less than some of the proshops sell their bows for. Again, if the masses think its better to go proshop then I guess that's what I'll have to do. Your responses are appreciated.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did you go to a proshop

It sure is possible. I personally went to a proshop to get set up, but their weren't such things as proshops 25 years ago and people were successfully hunting. You can get a good bow on ebay/internet, but be carefull. If you plan on setting it up yourself, do a lot of shooting and experiment with different options. But it is definitly can be done.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM

If you buy a bow off ebay, or in the paper and need help setting it up plan on paying a good hourly rate to your local proshop. You are not just buying a bow from the pro shop you are also buying the service. Most shops around here will set up your bow and work on itfree of charge if you buy it off them. One pro shop in my town has a sign up that says if you bought your bow off ebay have ebay set it up for you, if you bought arrow shafts off ebay have ebay fletch them. I have always bought from my local pro shop, and never regreted once.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can find a ton of nice bows in all kinds of places. You just need to know your draw length,that will be the most important thing.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM

Yeah, you can do it....just don't call your proshop and want them to set it up for you RIGHT NOW....we get that all the time....."Hey, I bought this bow from .....I need it this weekend, if I bring it in can you set it up for me tonight??"

First off, why didn't the place you bought it from set it up (if it's bass pro or something?) Secondly, we have paying customers that are in front of you...Don't expect us to drop everything we are doing because you didn't get your bow set up right from "that place." Oh sure, we'll get to it, and we'll do it right, but we aren't gonna get to it "right now."
Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

I think my local guy charges about $75 to $100 to setup an outside bow and if he is busy with people buying his bows you just have to wait.

-john
Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

That makes sense Mobowhuntr. But how often will a person need their bow set up "right now" or "by this weekend". I was under the impression that when you get it set up right the first time you should be good to go for awhile. Again, not trying to cause any friction but I do want to weigh all of my options here. If archery will require that I set up, reset up my bow numerous times during the season then I guess I would be better going to a proshop. But if not, then I figure why spend the extra dough if I really don't have it?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM

That makes sense Mobowhuntr. But how often will a person need their bow set up "right now" or "by this weekend".
We get several of these calls every day. I mean....EVERY day. All the time. Constantly. Sorry, pet pieve of mine...I feel better now.

Yes, pro shops carry upper end bows....that's why the bow manufacturer's make them......Most of them you can ONLY get at a pro shop. Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, just to name a few. These same companies have "secondary" companies that cater to the big name stores..Hoyt has Reflex, Bowtech has Diamond, and I forget what Mathews has...Those you can get at either a big name store OR a pro shop....They are also lower end prices, so they aren't nearly as bad. You're gonna pay a pretty penny foreven a "decent" bow. The old Bears you get at Wal Mart..well, you get what you pay for.

People go to a pro shop for lots of reasons. First hand, personal service done RIGHT, most shops also offer some free shooting time at their range when you buy a bow from them...I don't want a bow I can get at Bass Pro or whereever...I want something I have to go to a Proshop to get. Again, you get what you pay for. The "Wal Mart mentality" as I like to call it is ruining the local pro shops.

I don't mean to imply that Diamond or Reflex aren't good equipment, they most certainly are! In fact, most Diamond bows were in the Bowtech line, and most Reflex were in the Hoyt line...Same bow, just discontinued in one and shifted to the other. Cheaper price. But a Pro shop is STILL the best place to get one. But, do what you need to do. A bow is better than no bow at all, but I think you'll begin to see what I'm talking about.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Ash And Mobowhntr, you both have very good points there. I just got into bow hunting this year. I Bought my bow off of ebay and went to a bow shop to have some work done to it.
He fixed it on the spot but i did get a little fun poked at me for buying it on ebay. I really was looking for some guidence but after getting poked at i just left. A few days later i went to bass pro and a guy there worked with me for nearly an hour. SHowing me proper form and hitting a few inches from the bullseye at 20 yards.
most of you guys will say a few inches from the bullseye ain't to good. But for my 1st time really shooting a bow i thought it was decent.
If you want to save a few dollars and buy 1 off ebay or the paper, i say go for it. You may have a friend to teach you form and such. And help you set up your bow. I did not, i do not know anyone who bow hunts.
You may even find a shop that will work with you or a bass pro shop.
Then if you decide you want to stick with it and buy a better bow in the future, buy a new 1 and buy from a pro shop.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest problem is how will you know what to get.

Do you really know your draw length,poundage that is comfortable.If you don't get this stuff right,you won't ever shoot worth a darn.

Don't go to a proshop and find out what you need and then go to ebay.They will get it back one way or another.You will never get a deal on arrows,sights or anthything for it.

You really should be able to get into an entry level bow at a competitive price to ebay or BassPro.If the shops you are going to are pushing the high end stuff,then maybe you need to findone that will try and fit YOUR needs.

I know where a setup Hoyt Protec is right now(atleast it was there monday)that is 1 year old, setup with a high end sight,stabilizer,rest and quiver for $500.00at a proshop.

I asked about a bow for my nephew and he had one that would be suitable for adults or teenagers for $280.00,brand new.

Quick Reply: Did you go to a proshop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.