Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Head to Head test of Hoyt, Mathews & BowTech. >

Head to Head test of Hoyt, Mathews & BowTech.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Head to Head test of Hoyt, Mathews & BowTech.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Head to Head test of Hoyt, Mathews & BowTech.

Yesterday I went to town & bought a new bow. Before I decided what bow to buy? I had to shoot the big three.
I kind of had it in my head before I even shot any bows, I was going tolove & buy the Hoyt Trykon.

I shot the Hoyt Trykon & Trykon XL. IMHO the Trykon has too harsh of a draw cycle. Anyone who pulls one back will feel it. The Trykon XLfelt pretty darn good in my hands. After shooting both Trykon's the choice between the two bows was an easy pick. I liked the Trykon XL.

Next I shot the Mathews Switchback. The Switchback was asweet & smooth shooting bow. The only thing I did not like about the switchback, was the way it felt in my hand. I am not sure how toput it in words? The Switchbackjust never felt "right". I put it back on the rack & decided to shoot it one moretime after I shot the BowTech bows.

Next I shot the BowTech Tribute.When the pro handed me the Tribute. I handed it back. I told him that bow is too short, I need a longer brace height. Hesaid this bow is 31-1/2 inches axle to axle but stillhas a 7-1/2-inch brace height. I saidmay I shoot that bow please? He set it up, I shot it & I fell in love. IMHO with a 31-1/2 inch ATA and a 7-1/2 brace height. The Tributewill beone heck of a tree stand and ground blind bow.

The only other bow I wanted to shot before I bought a new bow, was the BowTech Allegiance. He was sold out of the Allegiance & only had one Tributein stock. I told him set up that Tribute, I will take it.
I never did go back to the Mathews SwitchBack. I did not need to. The BowTech just felt right.

So there you have it. My humble but often correct opinion of the big three?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:17 PM

Default RE: Head to Head test of Hoyt, Mathews & BowTech.

Was it the Switchback or Switchback XT?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Tribute kicks like a mule compared to a Switchback XT (IMO..both at 60#/28"). Hardly a comparison.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, Some say chickens, others feathers. I'll have to go shoot them to decide for myself.

I do know this much, after shooting a 33" trykon for~30 min it is off the list. Drops into too valley too sharply for my tatse.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeff K
Was it the Switchback or Switchback XT?
Jeff K, It was the SwitchBack. I could not find a SwitchBack XT, in stock at any of the three shops. Maybe there is a reason for that?Like everyone who shoots one buys one?
The SwitchBack did not feel bad, it just didnot "feel right".

The funny thing is that whenI went"bow hunting", I wanted to love & buythe Hoyt Trykon. After I shot the Trykon I did not like it. Iliked the Trykon XL, but not enough to buy it. The big drop into the valley on the Trykon my have tainted my judgement on the Trykon XL?

I have always liked Mathews bows. I also figured I would LOVE the SwitchBack? Like I saidbefore it just did not feel right in my hands.

The BowTech bows would not have even been looked at if that proshop did not offer the best service in town. After shooting the Tribute, I was hooked.

All bows I tested were 29-inch draw. I checked the draw weight on a scale, and set them all@ 70-pounds.

The only two bows I have owned before were,
1) PSE ThunderBolt
2) Darton Typhoon
This may help explain why I like the BowTech Tribute?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 AM

that just shows ya everone feels different. i own a switchback and went the other day w/ an open mind to shoot the tribute and it did feel good in my hand i really liked the grip but the had shock was enormous compared to the my switchback. to some people that doesn't matter but i like a smooth draw and a smooth release w/ good speed but that is secondary, they are all fast. the thing that jumps out to me w/ the switchback is you can't even tell when you have released the arrow. again it's like cars everyone is looking for something different.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's amazing is how different people's experiences can be on the same exact bow... like Rush Creek thought the bow had "enormous shock" and I thought it was the "deadest" bow I've ever shot. The XT is very close, but doesn't offer the speed or adjustability offered by the modules; still an exceptional bow.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good choice Wolf Killer, I have gone through a hoyt, a browing, jennigng, matthews, and I' am sticking to by Bowtech... I had a mess up today with some competition limbs I ordered. The techs at the factory were extra nice, and the problems will be taken care of..
I can't even imagine shooting anything else. I just wish I would have saved my money, the others just can't compare, Bowtech is here to say for a long time. They just get better and better.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not much of a test, but to each his own.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone have any official #'s when it comes to bow sales? The local BowTech/Hoyt shop in town claims BowTech and Mathews are dead even...but that was coming from a "pro shop" that doesn't even know how to paper tune a bow...not so sure about their story. A Mathew'spro-staffer at a sports show last fall laughed when we asked him that....said both PSE and Hoyt crush BowTech...but that came from a Mathews pro-staffer.

I just want the truth on sales..but will never get it.

Quick Reply: Head to Head test of Hoyt, Mathews & BowTech.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.