Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You just became head of the DNR >

You just became head of the DNR

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You just became head of the DNR

Old 12-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: You just became head of the DNR

Button....

1) Go back to having check stations.
I forgot that one. YES!

Jeff
Old 12-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey camocop , same state

I like georgias rules pretty much , 2 bucks a year , in some counties 4 on a side or better , the rest 3 on a side or better , Youth can shoot any 2 bucks they want . And 12 does a year . Here in Florida , you can shoot a buck and a doe every day of season , its a joke , allabama is the same I think .That amount to close to 200 deer one hunter can take legaly .
Old 12-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan....I'm a little confused by this one....

[blockquote]quote:

Expand tag transfer program to include buck tags.
[/blockquote]
Jeff,

In NY you can transfer up to 2 doeonly tagsfrom one hunter to another.It's not the old party permit system, you actually transfer ownership of the tag. It has worked out well here.Everybody I know loves it because they can buy their wife or whoever a license and then use their tag if they want an extra deer and it's perfectly legal.But you can't transfer any buck tags.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Then help me out, Sylvan......

If you bought an extra set of tags for your wife.....and you took your limit of bucks.....you'd like to be able to take her bucks, too.....if you chose to?

I kinda thought this is where you were headed with this. Do you guys have so many bucks where you hunt....that this practice would be good for the overall population of deer ......AND for the good of the general public?

Just wondering......

Jeff
Old 12-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Sylvan....I'm a little confused by this one....

[blockquote]quote:

Expand tag transfer program to include buck tags.
[/blockquote]

Jeff,

In NY you can transfer up to 2 doeonly tagsfrom one hunter to another.It's not the old party permit system, you actually transfer ownership of the tag. It has worked out well here.Everybody I know loves it because they can buy their wife or whoever a license and then use their tag if they want an extra deer and it's perfectly legal.But you can't transfer any buck tags.

Folkshave been doing this in MI for years, not legal, be they still do it!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Sylvan:

You condescendinglyrefer tothe QDM crowd in another thread (stating the 90 IQ inference). What IQ does it take to realize that anyone suggesting the type of tag transfer you speak of will all but guarantee that the percentage of bucks (be theytrophy caliber or not) will decline? How can this be good for the genetics in your state?

You're head of the DNR!

Jeff
Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Then help me out, Sylvan......

If you bought an extra set of tags for your wife.....and you took your limit of bucks.....you'd like to be able to take her bucks, too.....if you chose to?
For sure! But remember the total number is 2 and she can buy only one buck tag for bow and 1 for gun.

I kinda thought this is where you were headed with this. Do you guys have so many bucks where you hunt....that this practice would be good for the overall population of deer ......AND for the good of the general public?

Just wondering......

Jeff
As far as the effect on the population of deer I would think the bigger effect would have been the transfer of doe tags as the number of doe taken have a much bigger impact on populations than buck taken. That's one of the reasons they passed the law. To encourage more deer to be taken. NY in recent years has had an overpopulation problem and with the shrinking number of hunters I believe they hoped this new law would help. But in any case, they still control the total number of tags issued and though I'm sure being able to transfer tags improves the success rate per tag, statistically they can easily work that out to get the kill they're looking for. The only thing that changes is who's name is onthe tag and a dead deer doesn't give a fig about who's name is on the tag. Those that really want to take another buck wouldlikelyhave the opportunity and that is indeed good forhunter satisfaction.

Germ makes a good point too. There's a heck of a lot of people that have already instituted this program on their own anyway and the herd is doing just fine.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would personally patrol Jeff's area and the neihboring 1 acre. That way I won't have to read anymore posts about kids shooting other people deer. JK.

I agree with mosts poeple posts.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Sylvan:

You condescendinglyrefer tothe QDM crowd in another thread (stating the 90 IQ inference).
No I didn't at all. You've misinterpreted what I said or you just forgot.The 90 IQ inference was with regard to how smart you have to be to be good at killing deer. It had nothing what so ever to do with QDM. In fact I don't believe I even mentioned QDM in the entire 20 some odd pages.

What IQ does it take to realize that anyone suggesting the type of tag transfer you speak of will all but guarantee that the percentage of bucks (be theytrophy caliber or not) will decline? How can this be good for the genetics in your state?
To understand that such a system will indeed work out just fine requires only an IQ capable of understanding pretty simple statistical control. The state controls the total number of permits. Once success rates are established it doesn't take a statistical genius to figure out how many to issue to get the kill you want. What it comes down to for example is that if you want1000 buck taken from a given region, it makes no difference to the herd if they are taken by 1000 hunters or just 1. The final numbers are what matters, not who's name is on the tag.

Scoffers like you made the same argument about the doe tag transfers but the apocolypse didn't come!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not be qualified to make any changes..heck these guys are or have Biologists and other experts helping them make the decisions they make. I'm sure resources as to how many Game Wardens and such they can hire is limited, due to budgeting.

I can make some off the cuff observances. For PA

1) give landowners (tax-payers) in the state who are non-residents some sort of break on non-resident license fees and additional tags (bear, archery, muzzle-loader.
2) reduce the size of WMU units to better isolate areas where does need taken more aggressively and allow harder hit areas to re-populate.
3) I would not have doe and buck seasons at the same time. seperate seasons.
4) evaluate dates of archery season to allow hunters more opportunity during the rut.
5) get rid of the license on the back..to a carry in wallet type! Ihate this,cuz I lost mine on the drag out this year! [:@]

Quick Reply: You just became head of the DNR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.