Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Corn is still up where I hunt :( >

Corn is still up where I hunt :(

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Corn is still up where I hunt :(

Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Corn is still up where I hunt :(

Corn hasn't been harvested where I mainly hunt. Deer are hiding in there. How would you draw them out? Gun season just ended. Back to bow here in Ohio.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Corn is still up where I hunt :(

Unless it was hundreds of acres still standing, I'd love to have some corn still up around here... Next year I'm going to pay the landowner to leave some up...

If there wasa vast amount, I'd probably consider still-hunting through it very slowly, one row at a time.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

go out there with a bush axe an aoub t 8 hours to wastethen set your stand up there or better yet you could get your manager to do it for ya sunset
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set up a good old fashioned deer drive. Get a bunch of guys to push the corn and be waiting at the other end. Might work....
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 PM

Depending on the size of the field, a deer drive might work, if set up properly. But the risk you run is deer squirting out the sides of the field before they get flushed out of the endrows where you would probably be set up. It all depends on how much is left.

But then again, these deer will have to come out of the fields for water, unless there is standing water in the corn somewhere.

I would still venture to guess these deer won't exclusively stay in the corn, so find travel routes in and out of the corn field and set up shop there.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is why you have to drivers walking on the outside edges corn, works fabulous....wow I cant believe I just used the word fabulous.
ORIGINAL: Bols

Depending on the size of the field, a deer drive might work, if set up properly. But the risk you run is deer squirting out the sides of the field before they get flushed out of the endrows where you would probably be set up. It all depends on how much is left.

But then again, these deer will have to come out of the fields for water, unless there is standing water in the corn somewhere.

I would still venture to guess these deer won't exclusively stay in the corn, so find travel routes in and out of the corn field and set up shop there.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SRBowman

That is why you have to drivers walking on the outside edges corn, works fabulous....wow I cant believe I just used the word fabulous.
ORIGINAL: Bols

Fabulous on small fields. But even then, deer drives can fail. Once you get into larger fields it doesn't matter if you have guys walking sides and middle, it becomes a bit too unpredictable. Especially through corn fields.

I've done my fair share of deer drives. Andit doesn't matter how well planned you have them, some just don't work.

Deer movement become unpredictable when flushed.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I suppose your right! everyone who does drives has had them fail on him a time or two or Ten!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM

Thanks guys...most of the corn is still up. There are4 different fields that this affects. One is about 80 acres,two are ajoining 40 acres. And the last one is about 200. Not sure how I'll do this, but, I'll take all of this advice and come up with a plan. I should definetly get my manager aka Red Hawk to drive. That sounds like a plan!