Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tent hunting

Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Default tent hunting

We recently bought a hunting tent and it says on the box that broadheads are capable of shooting through the the thin mesh. Would you trust this?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tent hunting

Close range I wouldn't hesitate, but as I am sure it stated, don't use mechanicals through it. Also, might as well test it out on a target before an animal.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't think about it without testing first.

Also, I would think that the mesh better be taut or the arrow could be redirected when the slack comes out.

Honestly, I'd rather sit ona tripod seatwith some bushes or tree trunks, but if it works, go for it.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm not a big fan of blind hunting becausethe deer are so aware of what belongs and what doesn't. If you can leave it out for a few weeks in one spot before you use it I think that might work best. Otherwise get a climber and move around.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:44 PM

thanks i was thinking the same thing. We have had it out there for a few weeks to let the deer beome comfortable with it and meanwhile i have been hunting from the tri-pod but it's getting a bit cold
Old 11-21-2006, 05:33 PM

I shot a doe out of my blind this year. Broadheads fly beautifully through the mesh, though not all mechanicals do. They can't have the big "L" arms, or say arms such as the Hypershock does, it will catch the mesh and open the broadhead.

Yeah, deer a leary of the blinds, and while she saw it and was nervous at first, she calmed down quickly and I shot her at a mere 12 yards.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

They work, I took 7 from blinds last year & 2 so far this year. 6 of last years deer were 2 at a time. I set them up a couple weeks before the season & only hunt them rainy days until it gets cold. Once theyre used to them the deer pay them no mind. The mesh works fine if your bows tuned well. I'v actually shot thru my blind several times because I was scared to open the windows very far. Shooting thru the blind they still hit theyre mark.