Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk hunting solo tent options? >

Elk hunting solo tent options?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting solo tent options?

Old 08-11-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Elk hunting solo tent options?

What tents do you guys that backpack in to solo hunt use? I'm looking at the MSR Hubba-Hubba, Sierra Designs Lightning, and the Hennessy Hammock. Each has pro's and con's. Just wondering if another option exists.

Thanks.
-Bugs
Old 08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk hunting solo tent options?

I don't have an answer for you but I am interested in the same topic. Also considering taking an ATV back in as far as I can go, parking it, putting up a tent and going the rest of the way on foot.

I don't like to camp within 2 miles of where I hunt. But I do like to get back in as far as possible.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:49 PM

Para Tarp by Kifaru. www.kifaru.net
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sleep in a leantoo for my base camp. If I wander out for a night, I will fold a plastic tarp in half with my bag sandwiched between the layers. Keeps you dry and will act as a windbreaker if the wind kicks up.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:37 AM

What are you hunting? If it's elk (I would assume) I would travel lighter. Just invest in water proof (resistant) sleeping bag and a breakdown saw. Make a bed out of pine needles, and use the saw to make a lean-to out of boughs. I mean, if it rains or snows, you're gonna get wet anyway.
Also, you'll (hopefully) have between 500-800#'s of critter to pack out, make it easy on yourself!
Just my $.02.
One more thing . . . tell someone where you'll be! Give them a map, general location and time frame.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 AM

My plan is to hunt the Flattops for a cow elk, GMU 25 or 26. I'll be leaving a map with someone for sure. I just want to get back in a few miles, try to avoid the masses if possible (spend my time lugging out elk meat). I'd like to travel as light as possible, but as I'm sure you know light weight costs more.

-Bugs
Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 AM

The single man Eurika Spitfire is the best trade off. It is 2# 8oz and costs about $70. The only thing you need to do to it is buy new stakes. I suggest the MSR ground hogs. We are packing in 8 miles this year. It works great.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just orderd a tent from Cabela's it's a 1 man tent.It weighs in @ 3 lbs with poles.It cost like 80 bucks.
BBJ
Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Eureka Zeus. I use a two man so that I have room to put my gear and it gives me a little( Not alot)more space. This tent has worked well for me and has been through many high mountain storms. No extra weight of a rain fly. Only tent and poles about 3lbs. I don't think they make my model anymore but would recommend the newer one as well.

Bill
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Bugs, have you decided where you are going yet? Did you get your tag through the draw or were there leftovers for those units? Too bad we didn't get hooked up earlier or I would have tagged along with you and took you to where I have hunted in the Flattops in the past. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Elk hunting solo tent options?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.