Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment >

M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

Old 11-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

I know that there has been alot of discussion on the Buck Growl by MAD and the Buck Roar by Primos so I hope you guys don't mind another post about it, but I wanted to throw my personal experience with it out there.
I was really intrigued when I first saw the Buck Growl on Drurys Wildlife Obsession show quite a while back, because about 4 or 5 years ago I had a monster buck do it right behind me one Nov. evening. I told my hunting buddies that night that I had a buck make the longest, loudest drawn out grunt that I had ever heard. He was following a hot doe and there was a smaller buck trying to nose in on the action. That was before it was known as "The Buck Growl"!!!As soon as I saw that on the show that night, I knew that was the sound that I heard years back. So I wasn't as skeptical as some guys probably were. Jump ahead now.
Earlierthis year right before the season,I was gonna buy one. I went to Dick's and Gander Mt. in Ft. Wayne, In., about 1/2 from us. Well neither one had it then. I kind of forgotit when hunting season began.Last Sat. night one of my hunting buddies was going over there so I told him to pick me one up.
I had really followed the Buck Growl vs. the Buck Roar thread on here. I was a little concerned about the Mad Growl because a few guys had mentioned that if you blew it just a little too hard, it would "rap" the reed and go into a high pitched sound. They also said that the Primos Roar did not do this and you could get more aggressive with it. Plus, how can you live without a built in compass!!!
I told my uddy that I really preferred the Primos Roar if possible, but would take the MAD Growl if that was all he could find. Well guess what? He only found one call left at both places, and it was the MAD Growl.
I watched the DVD and practiced with it Sunday while watching NFL games all day, and couldn't wait to get out in the woods with it monday. I must admit, I was pretty let down with it.
Those guys were definitely right. It really does go into the high pitched rap very easily. That really bummed me out, because I felt that I wouldn't really be able to do long range calling if I did see a buck at a distance. Even without the "rap", I honestly do not think that it sounds that similar to how it does when mark is demonstrating it on the DVD. My 16 year old daughter didn't either, even though she felt that I was doing it exactly like he did.
But, I knew the real test would be in the woods. Unfortunately, the past 4 nights in the tree hasn't given me any more confidence in it. I have tried it with no deer in sight with no luck. I have also used it on 4 different bucks in different woods this week with no success. One buck was a 140 class buck and the others were small to average bucks. Not a single one had any interest in it at all. The one buck stood and listened to it, until I tried to get it a little louder to try and coax him in, and then that wonderful high pitched rap snet him hightailing it away from me.
Now, I know that using this call is just like all the other tricks we use( scents, calls, rattling etc.) Sometimes they work and sometimes not. But I really thought that I would get some reaction to it in the past 4 days. And the bucks are chasing the does here in NW Ohio, so I really thought I might get something to happen with it.
I have used it by itself and with the can.
So needless to say I am pretty dissapointed. Mostly by the high pitched rap deal. You know as well as I do, sometimes a guy can get a little excited out there and maybe blow the call a little too hard. And , as I said, I have no confidence in trying to use it for a buck in the distance.
I just feel that it is a very unforgiving call. And to me, that brings problem when in a hunting situation. There is enough to worry about when that monster is out there to have to wonder if your call is gonna work or not.
as soon as I see the Primos Buck Roar, I will buy it and see how it does.
That is just my honest assesment of the Buck Growl from my personal experience. I just hope that the Roar works better than the Growl. I am really excited about using it, but am very dissapointed and not very confident with the Growl.
Any other experinces or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. I am using a vacation day tomorrow to sit all day and try and get a really nice buck I have been after for the past few weeks. Hopefully I will be able to come back tomorrow and say to disregard this post, because the buck came in on a string to the Growl!!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM

Default RE: M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

I bought one earlier this year also.
I too am a little disapointed in it.
My picks on it
1 it doesn't sound anything like the "growls" they play that real deer are making in the DVD
2 no laynard? 20.00 and they can't include a piece of string? I had an extra one from an old grunt call I put on it.
3 Why would anyone make a call that is hard and not fully rubber coated? That thing clanks on anything it touches,especially the top portion of it.
4 That same top portion of it is shiney, who would make a deer call that shines?, I'm going to put camo duct tape on mine to quiet it and to make it dull.
5 I have yet to have any deer react to it
6 Can't blow it hard or loud without it turning into a duck call.

Just my opinions YMMV
Old 11-16-2006, 07:02 PM

Buell, I picked one up yesterday to see what all the fuss is about and I noticed/was concerned with everything you mentioned as well.

I can make the same noise with my True Talker, I just have to blow into it really hard.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:05 PM

I think I can "roar" better, at least closer to what they play in the DVD with my True Talker too
I'm going to check out the Primos call and see if it is any better
Plus with it, I'll never be lost!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Fortunately for me I didn't have to spend $20 on mine.

I picked it up at Wal*Mart for $9.00.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM

grrrrr
Old 11-16-2006, 07:15 PM

I have had the problems with the gowler.. I tried it on a buck the other day and got no reaction at all. I hit a snort weeze and he snaped his head right up.. And the no lanyard is really stupid.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

I bought one the other day, Mad Growl. I watched the video last night and practiced. Took it out this afternoon.....Had a Mallard broadside @ 15yrds!![8D]

SeriouslyI did buy one yesterday and practiced w/ the dvd. Sure looked good and was ready to use it today!
I sat in a cold a$$ wind storm from 11:45am to 5:00pm, BBBrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Didn't even see anything. The grunting part of the call sounds pretty good.But like you said the pitch is higher than what I had heard on the video. Especially the bucks themselves. Their tone was alot deeper than the call. I was thinking maybe it was because the deer were in the timber it made it just sound deeper.

I wasn't aware that primos had a buck roar. I have alot of primos stuff and have really liked it. Let me know how the Roar does.Maybe I just need to practice a little more with it? If not, Istill have the reciept for this duck call...

keep us posted! Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it is pretty vrappy if you ask me the regular grunt noise sounds great but you cant get very mean with it.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Spike

I have one and have yet to have any response from it as well.
I have the same concerns as everyone else.

In hindsight, $20 seems a bit high for a duck call.

Quick Reply: M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.