Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou Hunting from Tent

Old 03-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Caribou Hunting from Tent

Hey

I'm planning on buying one of those outfitter type tents from cabelas......the ones that support a stove and have lots of room to move around in. The reason is to hunt caribou in late fall fall in Quebec. Im a Quebec resident which allows me to hunt caribou fairly cheap not including an outfitter. So i plan to spend lots on this set up 1 time so that i can do it every year.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone know how warm these tents can get with a stove running all the time? I would imagine its not a 5 star but i dont want that......i want the rugged life style hunting hardcore!!

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caribou Hunting from Tent

If you are planning on hunting caribou in Quebec you are either flying in to the resident only zone @September or the winter Hunt in 22 ( I have done both, I used to live in Quebec). Its pretty darn cold up there and I have never seen anybody tenting it. I have seen a couple of plywood type tent camps and some RV but never a tent. I have hunted moose for years out of a prospector tent and in October they are great, but its real cold up where the caribou are.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:59 AM

I have hunted out of that tent before in wyoming. Seemed to hold the heat as long as the stove was going good. For an extnded hunt it sure is nice to have all that room. We had 4 guys in it quite comfortable.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 AM

If you match the size of the stove to the size of the tent, it can get quite comfortable. You won't want to take off your long johns though.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 14X16 Wall tent from Davis Tents. This is heated with a cylinder stove and if you have the dampner open all the way it WILL run you right out of there. This thing is awesome. Best investment I have done yet. Use it in the summer with the kids camping and in the fall/winter for hunting.

Don
Old 03-10-2005, 07:09 AM

Me and buddy used one in idaho it could and did get to warm fom my sleeping bag. the stove pipe was a pain we would leave it at are camp site and retreve it yearly. We didn't need a stove or fuel we cooked on top of it.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:07 PM

This is good to here!!! I was thinking i would try it earlier in the fall and test it in cold weather before taking it up north.

Thanks for feed back so far!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:32 AM

Are you looking at a canvas one or the alanak with the XTC fabric? We hunt Alberta at the end of November and a couple of years ago it didn't get above -25 degrees C for five days. It is tiring because someone has to stoke the stove all night. You'll want to bring straw or some other insulating material for the floor and then some poly so that as the frost melts it won't soak the floor. We have an old discarded road sign for under our stove. We put sand at the bottom of the stove so it doesn't burn through. Stack a lot of wood behind the stove against the walls to reflect some heat back in and also to help dry it. A poly tarp to act as a fly and to shed snow over the roof out of the way of any embers is good to. Go to the Davis tent website, he has great tents at good prices and you can spec it however you want. He has good stoves like the outfitters ones in Cabelas.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:34 AM
DM

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone know how warm these tents can get with a stove running all the time? I would imagine its not a 5 star but i dont want that......i want the rugged life style hunting hardcore!!
IF you want the rugged life style hunting hard core why are you needing heat at all?????? Why have a big tent that needs to be heated?????? How much "stuff" do you need on a hard core hunt???

In the 25 years of liveing and hunting in Alaska "mostly" in the fall and winter i can count on one hand how many times i had a cabin or heated tent!!! And yes i hunted in the winter at times when the temps went below 0-F every night of the hunt!!!

I normally went on 10 to 14 day hunts, and either went alone or with one other person. If more people went, they had to bring there own 2 or 3 man tent ect... It's much easier to keep your gear in order and be able to sleep and do what you want in two tents rather than one big tent. We all ate together but bigger camps end up being more of a camping trip than a "hard core hunt"!

Spend your $$ on the BEST sleeping bag you can find!!! Buy a good quality 3 man tent that's EASY to put up and take down, and also has a good fly!!! Get a good pad to put your sleeping bag on! Buy good light weight clothing!!! Buy the best foot wear and socks!! These are the places to spend your money!

I always took one sterno fireplace log for every two days hunting, and at the end of the day when i got back to camp i cut it in half and lit the half. They are easy to lite, will burn in any weather and last long enough to cook something to eat before going to bed! (on a one burner white gas stove NOT the log) You only have to take them in, so flying with them isn't a problem, as i'd burn the last one the last day!!

If it's not dark i'm up and moveing around and don't need heat in my tent, once supper is over and it's dark i keep warm in my sleeping bag!!

Not all, but most of my hunts were fly in's to where i picked on the map that i wanted to go.

Drilling Man
Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

In the 25 years of liveing and hunting in Alaska "mostly" in the fall and winter i can count on one hand how many times i had a cabin or heated tent!!! And yes i hunted in the winter at times when the temps went below 0-F every night of the hunt!!!
Well congrats on that...........but freezing and starving is not my idea of a good time........i would imagine that you are not 21 years old like i am and that type of hunting more comon before........but like everything else hunting has evolved........and now there are light weight products (well lighter) and the possibility of some better accomidations are better..........i guess when i said hardcore i was refering to hunting without a $300 000 lodge........but i never really considered winter huting in northern quebec out of a tent to be a walk in the park

Quick Reply: Caribou Hunting from Tent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.