Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Had a crazy thing happen >

Had a crazy thing happen

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Had a crazy thing happen

Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Had a crazy thing happen

I posted this in the traditional forum since that is what I use to kill this hog with, but thought some of you might have experienced some thing similar since I was using carbon shafts. Heres the story:

I shot a hog the other day with my old recurve. I was in a tree and the hog was about 20 yards from me and 10 feet below. I shot him with a quartering away shot. The arrow went right where i aimed, which was high and back a little. I was aiming so the arrow would exit low and behind the opposite shoulder. From my angle, and the shot placement, it should have. The pig droped right in its tracks. It squirmed a little then expired. When I recovered the animal, I pulled out the arrow and to my surprise the broad head had been snaped off at the base. When I looked on the back side of the pig, there was no exit wound. I thought I hit the inside shoulder blade, thats what must have cause the problem. Not unusuall with a thick hog. When I cleaned the animal, I looked to see if the broad head was in the opposite shoulder, or in the shield, it was not. I then searched the thorasic cavity and found it lodged deep in the spin. Looked like I had shot the hog while it was laying on its back. I can not figure out how the arrow bent and went straight up. Mind you, the arrows course was a sharp angle down. How it turned and went straight up is beyond me. I switched to beman 400 carbons last year, which would explain how the arrow bent with out breaking, but does not explain why it bent upward in the first place. This has got me stumped. I have never seen an arrow do this.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Had a crazy thing happen

Ok, maybe when the hog fell the arrow nock was jammed into the ground. If he was dropping backward while falling, the arrow could have ratcheted 180* and was shoved into the spine?
Brian
Old 11-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

That would make sense, except it fell right where I shot it. Fell on the side that did not have the arrow sticking out of it. He never landed on the arrow, nor did any thing touch the arrow. I tell you, this is the craziest thing ive seen in over 20 years of slinging sticks with strings.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Divine intervention?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Spike

I had a simmilar thing happen earlier this year. I shot a buck thru the right rib cage and some how the broadhead broke off and ended up in the left rear hip bone. I noticed just after the shot that he kind of leaned on the left rear leg and almost fell. As he was running away he was dragging that leg. The arrow shaft was straight on the inside just about 1 inch and the broadhead were in the rear quarter.