Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow vs Tree, Tree won!! >

Arrow vs Tree, Tree won!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow vs Tree, Tree won!!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Spike

Default Arrow vs Tree, Tree won!!

This mornining was awsome, seen more deer today than I ever had in one morning 10 does and 1 buck!!! None came in range untill I was ready to get down and I saw 3 to my right. So I use the "can" and here they came 5 does 4 of which were small. I couldn't stand up because of all the eyes watching, they were right under me!!! Finally they started to move on and I had a shot at one of the small ones. Perfect broadside, but there was two trees I had to shot through. I felt confident that I could make it being that the trees were a foot and a half apart and the vitals were in the middle.

I let the arrow fly and it felt real real good, you guys know the feeling. Then suddenly my arrow starts going left and smacks into the tree and breaks the arrow in half!!

This is the second time I had an arrow go left on me, I am almost positive it wasn't me. What causes this?? I shot my bow all the time and always shots straight, but I don't have a broadhead target and I was always told that broadheads will shot alittle low but not left or right?? Is this my problem or is it something else???
Old 11-17-2006, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Arrow vs Tree, Tree won!!

How far was the shot? How is the fletching on your arrow with the broadhead? Is your arrow rest alligned correctly? Does it only do it with broadheads? There could be a million different things causing this.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Spike

It was about 15 yards and yes It only does it with broadheads? Any other time it shots perfect.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Spike

I am new to bow hunting so this may seem silly,but does the blades on the broadhead have to match the fletchings?? I just noticed that some of mine are and some are not??
Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet you peeked! That will do you in EVERY time! I shoot great in practice, but on 3D and in the woods, sometimes I feel so confident about the shot that I "peek" to watch the arrow hit it's mark. I usually see the arrow hit a leg (on 3D) or trees (in the woods).

Three things to remember!
1. Follow through
2. Follow through
3. Follow through
Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your head down......wait, maybe that's golf advice. Sorry.....nevermind.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:16 AM

Simply put, If you've never practiced with your broadheads then you have no idea how they will shoot. You need to make sure your bow is tuned and practice with the heads you are going to hunt with. There really is no other way around it. Do yourself a favor and start shooting those broadheads to see how they fly. To do otherwise is just wasting your time and possibly wasting a deer on a bad hit.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:18 AM

If you can't afford a broadhead target, get yourself a load of sand and dump it where you shoot. Use the sand as your target. It works well.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

No the blades and vanes don't need to be aligned.

Have you shot the BH at a target? From longer ranges? Sounds like they are planning left, this is usually cause by either:

- BH are not aligned right
- bow out of tune

alignment, take the arrow and stand it BH down on a table, give it a good spin, check the knock end and the BH end for any wobble (not the ideal way, but you should see any wobble doing this). DO NOT SPIN THE ARROW IN YOUR HAND like 3D shooters do to test for straightness, good way to cut your hand up.

bow out of tune, simple and fastest check is to back up to 20 or 30 yards, shoot an field point tipped arrow at the target, now shoot the BH tipped arrow at the target, the should hit close to each other. My guess is yours will not.

Assumign those tests work out, I bet you are peaking and dropping/pulling the bow arm left, if you do this prior to the arrow being clear of the bow, you can effect flight.