Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Asking for land... >

Asking for land...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Asking for land...

Old 11-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Asking for land...

Thanks alot guys for the suggestions. I will give it a try in the spring time and hopefully have some new land to hunt next year.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to go aginst much of what I said, today. I'm going in the rain......in my Toyota truck.

My co-worker is a Boy Scout leader. He has a couple of scouts that are part of a TWELVE kid family. I KNOW where there's LOTS of deer crossing every evening on my road......and I've not had the need to really get in there (I have some good spots). I am going to ask these folks if I can go in there and take a couple for this family. 2 deer, and out. It's for a good cause. I already have access to land around these folks.....so I'm hoping they aloow this.

I'll let you know how it goes on Monday.

Jeff
Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with all what SG said except one thing. I actually find farmers in better moods when its raining unless of course they need to be in the fields and can't because of the rain....maybe its a midwest thing. The reason is when its raining, they are less likely to be busy with chores. Timing is very important. During good weather when working the ground and planting is taking place, don't bother the farmer. He has enough on his mind in that time period watching the weather and making sure the machinery is not breaking down. Also, just after crops are starting to come up and deer are seen eating new plants, the thought of having someone rid them of some deer can be of help.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Being a land owner I can say this, I would be turned off if someone came to me with a sales pitch on why they should be allowed to hunt my property. This has happened to me. One guy was telling me about over population of deer yada yada yada. Don't insult anyones intellegence. Just be sincere in your intentions and it does not hurt to help out around the property. <--(Mention this)
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Insulted? IfI were given a sales pitch....I would be too. I'm a landowner, too. I don't have a deer population on it....but I own land.I'm not telling them why I shoud be allowed. I'm asking them if I can hunt their land.....and explaining WHY to them (why I want to hunt it).

I'm 100% sincere about why i want to hunt these people's land. I'll be in there for TWO DAYS, only (one to scout....1 to hunt). I told them that.....and they agreed to let us in there for the 2 days. If all goes well.....maybe I'll ask again, next year. Who knows, after that....but I'm 100% sincere on why I'm going in there, this year.

Jeff

EDIT: Oh yeah....they told me to only shoot bucks.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM

Well, we only own 5 acres so yes, a plat map would help. My husband used to say he married me because all of my mom's neighbor's would let him hunt if he told them I was his wife.
There is an A##hole here that likes to shine his spotlight on my property. No way would I allow him to hunt on my ground. Just ask and be short and sweet about it unless you have a connection with the area. Tell me I have a beautiful horse...that will get you anything...(just kidding)
This might sound really weird, I would trade hunting ground for a stack of wood...don't know how others would feel about that.
Yes, tell me you bowhunt, as I know of a neighbor that is worried about his picture window also.