Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Decoy Questions

Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Decoy Questions

I will be using a decoy for the first time this Thursday. Any suggestions? Buck or doe? Pin a white peice of cloth to the tail? Scents? Facing towards me, opposite of me? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We are at the start of rutting right now in Oklahoma.

Thanks......
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 AM

Default RE: Decoy Questions

Supposedly if it is a doe it should be faced away or quartering away at about 30 yards. Then bucks will aproach from behind and down wind giving you a shot of 20 yards or less. If it does get to thedecoy it will probably give you plenty of time to shoot. Buck decoys should face torwards you and you should shoot befor the buck gets to the decoy. Otherwise it will attack the decoy and run off ending your shot opportunity. That is what they say in the books at least. I have seen them come from all directions though. I think the white rag on the back end helps alot. It at least makes it look more real to me. Don't put scent on the decoy, especially if you plan on leaving it out there. Put the scent near it and spray down the decoy. If you do leave it out there cover it. I keep mine in a large duffle bag. You don't want the deer to come across it when your not hunting, they may never come back to it.

Have fun, but don't over do it. I have found that it does not take long for the deer to get used to it. I have also had alot of deer come in to them before legal shooting and are long gone before it is light out. I would take a video camera because the footage you can get is pretty cool.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM

Default RE: Decoy Questions

Lay it in the weeds and cover it up with branches and leaves. Every time I used mine, it spooked the deer. They were wary of it at first and just looked at it. Then after a minute or two, off they would go.