Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late Buck

Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Late Buck

Last night I had 3 does come out just before dark (field edge). I was planning on waiting until they passed through to get down when all of a sudden this HUGE buck runs out of the woods 75 yards behind me and starts chasing the does in circles. My question is- how can I set up to try to get a shot at this buck. He came out at dark, and only because of the does. Should I put a climber or blind up closer to where I thought he came out? Should I decoy him?
Also, I waited for a long time to get down, but there is a chance the deer heard me get out- should I wait a few days to go there again?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late Buck

right now he doesnt care what you do, hes got one thing on his mind and hes going to get it no matter where you are. if you can find a way to get does in closer to you or out infront of you it may work.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late Buck

Many times deer "stage" in areas inside the tree line before coming out into the open. The biggest bucks are often the last to appear. They'll just mill around in there until the light gets down to a level they are comfortable with.

I would get into those trees and set up near a trail or two about 20 yards in.

Good luck.