Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late season buck rubs?  What's up? >

Late season buck rubs? What's up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season buck rubs? What's up?

Old 01-10-2004, 08:46 AM

Default Late season buck rubs? What's up?

I found several good buck rubs during late bow season this year, but not as many as usual. Since rifle season has just ended here (east Texas), I have found an abundance of new, fresh rubs. This is the first year I have ever seen this happen on the property that I hunt on. A buddy of mine said he has seen the same thing on his lease in west Texas. Anyone see this in their hunting areas and have an explanation of what's going on?
Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late season buck rubs? What's up?

I found a fresh scrape and rubs just the other day. Bucks have been known to visit scrapes all year round and the breeding season can actually go from late August through February. I wouldn't call it the rut by any stretch, but bucks will often carry out behaviors of dominance, territorial and breeding this time of year.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:05 AM

Its pretty normal. You havent seen them in the past this late because you werent looking for them. I found 1 yesterday. He broke the god darn tree in half. But I keep reading posts about bucks shedding. Every buck Ive seen in the past week has had his antlers and they were chasing junior does. Thats why I have my own graph I go by.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

It can also be a sign that a new buck is in the area because he was pushed out of his normal area due to pressure or found some more does. I have seen this in late season many times.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:06 PM

Earlier this week I posted about an 8ptr. I observed mating with a young doe. I too have seen many new rubs in my favorite spot and some of them have been on mid to large trees. Those big fellas in Rochester, NY are still carrying their head gear and definately putting it to use.