Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lock B. S. >

Scent Lock B. S.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lock B. S.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Spike

Default RE: Scent Lock B. S.

To each his own. I personally feel that the scent protection clothing works, but I also agree that they want way too much $ for it. I have a scentblocker 3d realleaf jacket, gloves and facemask,(can't afford them pants yet...) and I feel they work very well. Yes, you still have to play the wind, but what happens when the wind is only 4-5mph that day? Your odor makes a "ring" of scent around you, and with the help of scentclothing that ring is much smaller. This will help you get deer closer, not just small ones, but the big ones a lot of usnever see. what happens after 25 years of hunting for the booner and he comes in straight downwind? Well I believe scentblocker clothing will totallyincrease your chances at bringing that sucker in at least closer.

You must use scentblocker as instructed. wash it properly, store it properly, I don't use cover scent just cause I don't want to fill up the carbon. Make sure you still do the whole wash all your other clothes, shower, spray scent killer on before going into the woods...

What do you all think of them military BDU's on ebay that have carbon in them to protect soldiers from chemicals? They are suppost to work good, and I've read that they have more carbon per sq. inch in them then most scent protection clothing proffesionally made. They're pretty cheap
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: RTA47

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

If it were a gimmick it wouldn't work with as much success as it does.
Then how did all those bowhunter kills hundreds of thausands of deer before sentlock was ever invented? Like i sead! It may help to use one? Good luck if you own one. But I just don`t think it works as good or altlest not to the extent that people at sentlock or the hunters that wear it claim.
I alone with thausands of hunterseach yr Tag-out without it.
So why buy it?
What are you tagging out on mature deer 3 1/2 and up, or the first ones walk by?
Germ Actully we can take 10 doe`s and 2 bucks a yr. But by my own set limits i only take 5 to 8 doe`s a yr and 2 bucks a yr, ranging from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 a yr oldif i`m "lucky". For myself, family, and friends that can`t or wont hunt for them selves.
And "yes" i will take the first deer that walks down the trail if it it is thedeer i amafter why wait?
But what difference does that make anyways? Can`t the first deer that walks down the trail wind you just as the 10th or the 11th?
Just how old does a deer need to be before they can and will run when winded?
Like i sead if you own a scentlock suit and believe it helps you take more or the deer your after great!and good luck using it!
P.S i wish everyone only the best of luck this seasonif you wear scentlock or not.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

People also used to kill deer with a stick, string, and broadhead made from a rock. Does that mean compound bows and carbon arrows aren't effective?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Germ Actully we can take 10 doe`s and 2 bucks a yr. But by my own set limits i only take 5 to 8 doe`s a yr and 2 bucks a yr, ranging from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 a yr oldif i`m "lucky". For myself, family, and friends that can`t or wont hunt for them selves.
And "yes" i will take the first deer that walks down the trail if it it is thedeer i amafter why wait?
But what difference does that make anyways? Can`t the first deer that walks down the trail wind you just as the 10th or the 11th?
Just how old does a deer need to be before they can and will run when winded?
Like i sead if you own a scentlock suit and believe it helps you take more or the deer your after great!and good luck using it!
P.S i wish everyone only the best of luck this seasonif you wear sentlock or not.
8 doe's your an animal, it makes a difference on the age of a deer. Why do you think 95% bucks shot in MI are 1.5 or younger? They are curious, and have not learned the dangers yet.

Just look at us, I am smarter then I was ten years ago, I think.

Your point about being winded is correct, but older deer tend to check scent more. Come downwind if they are uncertain.

My point just because a person climbs a stand and kills a 1.5 year old buck does not make him the all knowing hunter. Yes some tatics will work on the 1.5 year olds, but those same tatics will cost a person a mature deer.

I only hunt a stand setup for the wind. I use everythingI can to help with scent. I also believe walking to and from your stand is key to shooting a mature buck. You have to be able to get in and out without spooking deer.

Greg H, Motown are some great hunters who do not use Scent-lok, I have great respect for both of them. I listen to what they say and try to learn. When all a person shoots is 1.5 year olds and comes on here and spreads his tatics a full proof, I just laugh.

Good luck to you also
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: sd_buckeye

What do you all think of them military BDU's on ebay that have carbon in them to protect soldiers from chemicals? They are suppost to work good, and I've read that they have more carbon per sq. inch in them then most scent protection clothing proffesionally made. They're pretty cheap
You do see all the active carbon military suits for sale unused. But the thing is the military uses them only one time and discards them they are not allowed to use them for a 2nd time.

So like the military suits who only use them one time. The scents suits that we use should only be used once. When they are shipped to the stores for retail they should be sealed in scent lock bags so they cannot be contaminated. But when you go to a retail outfit to purchase a particular piece of clothing they are out in the open.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

People also used to kill deer with a stick, string, and broadhead made from a rock. Does that mean compound bows and carbon arrows aren't effective?
Justin,

Stick, string and broadheads made of rock are proven to work! They also aren't very expensive. Also when you go to the "Stick, String and Rock Store", the clerk there isn't going to tell you that your going to see more deer because you using this instead of a compound bow.

Tom
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

mikehill.....that sux..ha ha ha
Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: statjunk

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Justin,

Stick, string and broadheads made of rock are proven to work! They also aren't very expensive. Also when you go to the "Stick, String and Rock Store", the clerk there isn't going to tell you that your going to see more deer because you using this instead of a compound bow.

Tom
Man that clerk is still bugging you, LOL

Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

8 doe's your an animal, it makes a difference on the age of a deer. Why do you think 95% bucks shot in MI are 1.5 or younger? They are curious, and have not learned the dangers yet.
taking 8 doe`s a season really isn`t that hard when your season runs fromsept-9tojan-31and the area i hunt is so coverd up with does you wouldn`t believe. I hunted last friday morning and within the first 1 1/2 hr i counted 9 does that i could have taken anyone of them as a matter of fact i did take the last oneshe was nice for this area about 110 lbs before dressed.I don`t know how oldshe was my guess 2 1/2 to 3 1/2
Why do you think 95% bucks shot in MI are 1.5 or younger? They are curious, and have not learned the dangers yet.
Thedeer being courious and not learning the dangers at 1 1/2 (imo) is hardly the reason. Could it not be that maby 75% of these deer get taken each yr are from huntersthat simple could care less about trophy hunting sence maby there hard working family people that work jobs 5 days maby 6 days a week and just don`t have the time to put into it? So they take 1 1/2 yr deer put meat in the freezerinstead of holding out for a monster and end up eating tag soup?
Just look at us, I am smarter then I was ten years ago, I think.

Same here but i would hope everyone is
My point just because a person climbs a stand and kills a 1.5 year old buck does not make him the all knowing hunter. Yes some tatics will work on the 1.5 year olds, but those same tatics will cost a person a mature deer.

Nore does a hunter that picks up bow bunders off down through the woods pops a 170 and calls himself allknowing al trophy hunter. I am not sure i understand i have only been strickly bowhunting 24 yrs now.I am not claiming to be an expert myself not at all.Just here enjoyreading andenjoy the storys share what little experence i have and hopefully learn a trick or twofrom others so please please explain?
I only hunt a stand setup for the wind. I use everythingI can to help with scent. I also believe walking to and from your stand is key to shooting a mature buck. You have to be able to get in and out without spooking deer
Agree!
When all a person shoots is 1.5 year olds and comes on here and spreads his tatics a full proof, I just laugh.
Keep laughing but your only fooling yourself!
Some of the best hunter out there are not so called trophy hunters. They are well seasoned hunters that knows what it takes to harvestmature game each yr in places thats not known for having big mature gameand not just trophy bucks.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep laughing but your only fooling yourself!
Some of the best hunter out there are not so called trophy hunters. They are well seasoned hunters that knows what it takes to harvestmature game each yr in places thats not known for having big mature gameand not just trophy bucks.
I think we mean the same thing, and I was not talking about you, LOL

Nore does a hunter that picks up bow bunders off down through the woods pops a 170 and calls himself allknowing al trophy hunter. I am not sure i understand i have only been strickly bowhunting 24 yrs now.I am not claiming to be an expert myself not at all.Just here enjoyreading andenjoy the storys share what little experence i have and hopefully learn a trick or twofrom others so please please explain?
There are no real big tricks for shooting young one's is all I am saying.

Thedeer being courious and not learning the dangers at 1 1/2 (imo) is hardly the reason. Could it not be that maby 75% of these deer get taken each yr are from huntersthat simple could care less about trophy hunting sence maby there hard working family people that work jobs 5 days maby 6 days a week and just don`t have the time to put into it? So they take 1 1/2 yr deer put meat in the freezerinstead of holding out for a monster and end up eating tag soup?
Not in MI, we do to say we got one[8D] Those are the first deer to come by. I have no issue, shoot what ever you want, I will be first to say good job!!

Quick Reply: Scent Lock B. S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.