Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lock B. S. >

Scent Lock B. S.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lock B. S.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Default RE: Scent Lock B. S.

I have always washed my hunting duds in Scent Free Soap, get up high, try and watch the wind as much as I can, walk into my stand SLOWLY so I don't work up a sweat - THEN I put my heavy stuff on for the duration of the watch. I never go hunting w/o having taken a fresh shower in Scent Free Soap first. All my clothes are left on the porch to air out before the hunt including my rubber boots. Since doing all that I've done quite well, but do still be busted now-and-then. But hey, THATS huntin!

Old 11-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

Bottom line, all these carbon clothes are made to help keep your scent down, they don't get rid of all of it, hell!Some peopleexpect to spill gas on there clothes and still expect for these clothes to keep them scent free. Come on, I believe they are better than regular clothing all the way. All that they are supposed to do is give you higher % of being scent free. After all going after a big buck all we want is a chance,,, RIGHT. If spending 200.00 plus dollars on clothing is too much don't spend it, but don't complain about it because it didn't work the way it said it did. Pisses me off every time this topic comes up.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Ah yes, the infamous article with zero shred of reliable scientific evidence. "Well I think this" or "I really know what I'm talking about" and "I heard that" doesn't cut it for me. Want the real scientific evidence behind Scent-Lok? Here you go -

http://www.scentlokscience.com

Have fun Atlasman, that should keep you busy for awhile.
You claim to prefer "real" scientific evidence.........and then post a link to a site that doesn't know how to spell Van der waals forces........and incorrectly uses the term Brownian motion.

Do you really think a "real" scientific source of information would make such elementary mistakes??

Oh, and so far I've killed 3 deer and a coyote this year, and had the opportunity to kill a lot more than that - many of which were directly downwind of me. Imagine that!
Isn't this an example of the "I heard this" or "Think this"......or "I know what I'm talking about" kinda stuff you were just bashing about 2 paragraphs up?

Why is your story about perceived good observations any different then someone else's negative ones? They are either both useful or useless........because they are 2 sides of the same coin.

For anyone who hasn't personally tried it
I have never got the logic behind this statement. Isn't one of the main reasons for education to be able to use your knowledge to make proper decisions and not have to learn everything by trial and error? Don't we teach children not to touch fire or run in the street because it is dangerous??...........Would anyone think it's a good idea to make those kids learn by "trying it". I hope not. I don't need to buy a suit to learn what I have already learned about carbon.......and I didn't learn it from a friend or read it on some goofy site. I learned it from MANY years of post grad work and from working with it firsthand in labsduring multiple published studies.

No one needs to jump from their stands to prove gravity is real.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:44 PM

I have never got the logic behind this statement. Isn't one of the main reasons for education to be able to use your knowledge to make proper decisions and not have to learn everything by trial and error? Don't we teach children not to touch fire or run in the street because it is dangerous??...........Would anyone think it's a good idea to make those kids learn by "trying it". I hope not. I don't need to buy a suit to learn what I have already learned about carbon.......and I didn't learn it from a friend or read it on some goofy site. I learned it from MANY years of post grad work and from working with it firsthand in labsduring multiple published studies.

No one needs to jump from their stands to prove gravity is real.
Not everyone has the same level of education nor the same experience working with and studying carbon as you, Atlas. And while your knowledge may lend your replies more credibility than most that doesn't negate the fact that the majority of people who claim that scent concealing clothing will not workhave no first hand knowledge with either carbon (as you do) or scent concealing clothing period.

First hand knowledge will always trump those who reply with "I don't need to try it because I know it won't work because my dad's brother's friend's cousin says it won't."
Old 11-09-2006, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

And you know what, if you still dont' believe me and want to listen to a bunch of unfounded articles written by "experts" with no real scientific knowlege or background, that's fine.

I don't understand............the information on the Scent-Lok site you posted a link to is unfounded andcould be written by anyone. I doubt it was written by a scientist since it has BASIC errors that no "expert" would make.

I also don't get what the big deal is about having a deer downwind of you. I see downwind from me every year.........and have for many years. Is it really that big of a deal? There are endless stories of others that see deer downwind without suits too.........I don't seewhat eitherstory proves.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

OK...what does ScentLok tell us to do? The same stuff we do all the time. Shower w/ scent free soap, use scent free laundry detergent, all that good stuff. Could it be that the ScentLok is NOT what is deterring our scent? Could it be all the scent control measures we ALREADY use?

I have had more deer directly downwind of me this year than I care to admit. Swirling winds are mostly to blame, not much I can do about that. A couple of others just fooled me and came from a direction I didn't expect. Now, I am confident I've been busted by deer that I never even knew were there, no question. But what I can tell you is I've had 7 deer this year straight downwind of me and didn't smell me. They've cut across my path I walked, didn't "stop to smell the cornstalks I brushed as I walked by," and had no idea I was there. And oh, by the way, I've shot 3 of them. ScentLok my arse!!

Not onlydid one of the deer I shot this year check me out downwind for a couple minutes but he crossed the path I walked in on.......and then came walking right to my tree following my footprints like he was tracking me. All that with nothing more then a bottle of fresh earth spray and a couple wafers in my bow case.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys save your breath. I have followed directions to the letter I use scent free sprays I don't use the socks mabey thats it but I doubt it. And all the scientific stuff is just that stuff. I spent the money I tried it it just dosen't work. If it helps give you confidence good for you keep using it. My choice is to save my money from now on. After my own scientific tests I find it is all smoke and mirrors. Ad if that busts your bubble I'm sorry. And to add to that there really isn't a Santa.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Now I was not in stare down like Atlas with his deer, but I was in a really good tree, and not hanging out in the open.
I didn't even mention that............when he got to my tree I had a couple minute stare down with him at 5 yards..........with the wind blowing my scent or lack of it right in his face. He's dead now. I'm fine with my scent control.

I was also dressed for the weather; therefore I was not shakingeither, but what do I know[&:]

I was not dressed well...........froze my arse off. Temps in the 20'sand a couple inches of snow had the teeth chattering a bit. Easy to test the wind though when youcan see your breath
Old 11-09-2006, 06:01 PM

Damn! There's NO Santa? Thanks Mike for ruining MY Christmas this year! :@

I learned a long time ago that just because some dude in the ad has a $20 white lab coat on doesn't make them a scientist of a credible source. Do you think anyone would buy this stuff if they didn't have an ad of some guys wearing it posing with a 250# whitetail with 14 points? Right - and they know it.

It takes a lot more education then some 'so-called' whitetail research company that we've never heard of in Deer & Deer Hunting magazine says-so. Remember - hunting publications are available because someone has to PAY for these ads - and basically thats all hunting mags ARE - arevehicles for SALES. Without ads - you'd have NO magazine - and its the purpose of these magazines to sell stuff which pays for these employees, writers, etc.

I don't believe that some yahoo wearing a $400 suit is gonna fare any better than I! hell, I took my 8-pointer in 2001 in a 12 ft treestand wearing Levi's, all rubber boots, and a camo jacket, a 1979 $80 Bear Whitetail bow, 2117 XX75's, a Keller sight and shooting fingers! It was a mere 15 yds IF that.

No Scent Block suit - he never knew I was there!

Old 11-09-2006, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Not everyone has the same level of education nor the same experience working with and studying carbon as you, Atlas.
That is one of the things that bothers me about this subject. I hate whenI see people swallowing marketing ploys hook, line and sinker. My personal opinion is that these companies are banking on the average hunter not being well educated in the world of science..........or at all in some cases. I don't like when I see what I perceive as taking advantage of people who don't know any better. That is just my opinion.

First hand knowledge will always trump those who reply with "I don't need to try it because I know it won't work because my dad's brother's friend's cousin says it won't."
Unlessthat dad's brother's friend's cousin knows anything about science

I don't really see whypeople get so worked up when someone says carbon doesn't work...........there are hundreds of products reviewed here every year. Thisis no different.

Quick Reply: Scent Lock B. S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.