Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I stay or should I go? >

Should I stay or should I go?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I stay or should I go?

Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I stay or should I go?

This year I have acquired a few new places to hunt along with my parents land that I have hunted for the last few years. One place is for hunting pheasants, ducks, and geese, and the other is for deer hunting. The deer hunting spot has a few hollows of trees with a creek line running through them both, and sits on 40 acres of land which is mostly corn. When I went to put up my ladder stand a few weeks ago, I saw a large 8 in the hollow that I was setting up in. I hunted that spot twice and have only seen 1 deer which was a small 4. This guy who owns the land comes into work today and tells me that his neighbor shot the big 8. He also said that this guy said that he sees most of the deer in or around the hollow of trees that I am not hunting in and that I would have better luck over there. The neighbor is done hunting for the season, but he said that he saw a huge 14 point out there the day after he shot the 8 when he was out in the field doing a few things. Now I dont know if I should trust this guy or not. I dont know him at all, and dont know what kind of a person he is. I want to move my stand over there but I'm not sure if I will be wasting my time. Should I say in the same place, or move to the other spot? All of the corn is still up on this 40. What do you guys/gals think?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Should I stay or should I go?

What's it gonna hurt?

Don't you own a climber....or a second stand???

I might not be getting the whole picture???????

Jeff
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they're willing to let you hunt, then they probably don't care if you walk around - go look and see what you can find. Then figure out what you want to do from there.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with SBgobblers it's not gonna hurt to try who knows you might get a shot at that fourteen pointer.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you aren't seeing deer where you are then I would definitely go check it out.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have checked the area out. I could see that there was plenty of traffic, but that is how the other area looked also. The other area was where I originally wanted to go, but it was very dificult for me to get back to. The property owner said that he will cut me a path with his combine tonight so I can move back there if I want to. I have 4 stands total, but three of them are set up at my parents place.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would give it a shot, you can never have too many places to hunt. It might not be worth it, but then again if that 14 pt walks out it sure was worth it. I would buy another stand and try to find a nice funnel in the area. You could also make a man made funnel by having the owner cut you a path with his combine. Deer will walk that path. Let us know how it pans out.