Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why bait?

Old 10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Why bait?

Why bait? What is it about baiting that makes people think they're hunting? No offense to anyone who feels strongly about baiting, but can you tell mewhy it's ok to bait, and why youstill classify yourself as a hunter? Anyone can pick up a bow/gun and shoot at something over bait. But not everyone can pattern the deer, set-up on them for a good shot oppurtunity in their natural environment, with natural food sources.

It's illegal to bait here in IN, and should be thatway for every state. Maybe certain laws like this is why PETA is trying to ban hunting, bcsomehunters aren't hunting.

Again no disrespect, but I just want to hear why people do it, and why some hunters don't have a problem with it. Please let meknow.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why bait?

I also think it is not right to hunt over bait. Hunting over bait is not hunting to me.It takes no skill to lure in a deer while hunting over bait. I like the challenge of trying to get a mature deer into bow range. Using bait is like cheating to me. Using bait is illegal where I hunt, but I still would not use it to hunt over. So StealthHtr22 I agree with you on this one. It should be banned.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

I do not hunt over bait, I don't think it is sporting. That being said, I have no problem with baiting, but I dothink it is more "shooting" than "hunting".
Old 10-27-2006, 09:40 AM

(Sits back and grabs a cup of coffee)
Get the fire hoses boys, here come a flame war. Unless, of course, the moderators lock this thread first.[&:]
Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 AM

Next time do a search on a subject before you bring it up. Talk about beating a dead horse.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to bait so in case I get hungry, there is always something there to eat!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Again, not trying to make anyone mad, I gave my opinion and just looking for others'?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Do you use scents? Do you use calls? There's not much difference in in scents or calls from baiting IMO. Since I call and use some scents, I don't think I'm any diffrennt than someone who can legally bait deer.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you hunt over a corn or bean field? The farms I hunt on grow cattle not veggies. I have 2 feeders on the property. I do not hunt over them I use them to attract deer and keep them on the property. The bait I put out is a managment tool much like a food plot would be. I have killed 2 deer and one hogso far this season. All of them were killed in a patch of oaks while feeding on acorns. I was 1/4 mile away from the closest feeder. Since the acorns were scattered all over the ground and I found them and the evidence that deer were feeding there, and I set up there and ambushed the deer was that not bait? Is a corn field a natural food source? Or a soybean field, or an apple orchard? Or any farm for that matter? Is Tinks 69 bait? What about Trails end?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Do you use scents? Do you use calls? There's not much difference in in scents or calls from baiting IMO. Since I call and use some scents, I don't think I'm any diffrennt than someone who can legally bait deer.

You stole some of my thunder, but if someone places a small amount of bait, say a gallon or so of corn, on a trail, all you're really trying to do is stop the deer, the same thing others try to do with grunts, call, etc.

Quick Reply: Why bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.