Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I "let" him hunt? >

Should I "let" him hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I "let" him hunt?

Old 10-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I "let" him hunt?

I have access to a small section of woods - about 15 acres - that is part of a 200 acre piece of land. This triangular shaped section of woods is basically a travel corridor and fortunately serves as a rub route line for several bucks. My son and I hunt this part of the property and I'd say it's just enough for two hunters, but no more. The back part of the 200 acres has sections of woods that are occupied by other hunters, so the place is IMO, near capacity for hunters. The majority of the 200 acres is open fields surrounded by other parcels of land (fields, woods and swamp) which also holds hunters.

A guy asked the caretaker of the land if he could hunt the property. The caretaker out of respect for me told him that he would have to ask me. When this hunter approached me, I told him that it was ultimately not my decision since I do not own the land, but since it was left up to me, my answer was no, there wasn't room for him.

I understand that finding a place to hunt these days can sometimes be a challenge, especially property out your back door, but I would like to try and protect that convenience for myself and my son. Telling him no is weighing me down and I'm now feeling selfish and even wrong.

What would you do? You think 15 acres is large enough to hold three hunters?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Should I "let" him hunt?

I think 15 acres for three hunters is too small because any arrow can travel that far. But do what you want dude.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Truthfully that is a very hard decision. I think I would probably make room for him if I could. You never know how he could help you in the future and even if he didn't help you, at least you would feel a little better. I would also consider the population of your deer herd in that area. Since it is only 15 acres I am sure there isn't a lot of room for them to bed.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

What comes around goes around.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would probably tell him no and explain that you and your some hunt the 15 acrea. With 3 people hunting that amount, it can become over hunted fast.

I would also call the landowner and tell him you told the other guy no and the reason behind it. That way you won't have to feel bad (if it was me, I wouldn't feel bad for the hunter, I just wouldn't want the land owner to think differently of me). If you get bad vibes from the homeowner, then maybe reconsider. But my first priority would be the landowner vs. the hunter.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

You could always tell him he can hunt the property but to check with you a day or two in advance and let you know what time he is wanting to go out so you are not all in that area at once. Just tell him it will be around your huntinng schedule. Just an idea.
Brandon
Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points. I told the caretaker my decision and why - he stands behind me, which is nice. I have a few stands in this tract of woods so I can be selective with regard to where I may hunt given certain circumstances such as wind, morning or afternoon hunt, phase of the rut, meat or horn hunting, etc. I could easily put this guy in one of those stands, sure, but then my options (and my son's) narrow. Wow am I a selfish ba$tard. Here's another detail I forgot to mention: The guy wants to hunt back there because his other hunting property is 20 minutes away, whereas this is only five minutes away, so it's not like the guy has NO PLACE to hunt. I have also put 4 years into this woods and the area in general as far as studying deer movements and stand placement, shooting lanes, marking trails to stands. I guess it's one thing to bring a guest hunting once or twice, but to throw them the keys for the season is entirely different, IMO of course.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I understand your concern. But there are many things to consider. You do not know if he is an ethical hunter. You do not know if he is a skilled woodsman. You do not know if he would ultimately do harm to your hunting chances, etc. 15 acres is not much land - there is nothing wrong with being the only one to have access to the property.

I would probably not let him hunt - but if your consciense tells you to let him hunt then let him hunt because nothing is as valuable as a clear consciense!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Since he already has somewhere 20 mins away then I don't think he should have even asked. I think you made the right decision.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell him, he can hunt yours if you can hunt his. Okay that might not work, that is a tough decision. Since he has land 20 minutes away, I think I'd close the gates to him. It may be different if they guy had absolutely no place to hunt at all.

Quick Reply: Should I "let" him hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.