Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 public land with stands >

public land with stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

public land with stands

Old 10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: public land with stands

Washington--actually it would be first come first served--I personally wouldn't do it, but if it is there it is for ANYONE.
We had a problem in our area where an idiot built a stand. One morning an unsuspecting hunter hunted in a climber not too far away. This jerk ruined the hunt for both by throwing things at the other hunter--basically telling him that it was his spot because of the stand. NO WAY!--Public land=PUBLIC PROPERTY.

By the way this jerk built his stand again in the same spot yesterday--starting at about 6:30 am--it has already been removed.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Spike

First off--not a good analogy.
Second, if you take the risk of doing something illegal, then you must be able toaccept the consequences--having the stand stolen, someone else in it or nearby and lastly getting fined.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:21 PM

I normally won't hunt another persons stand w/o their permission and esp if its a permanent on state land. No permanents should be on trees on state land. If I was to use a stand it would be a climbing stand I brought in with me and take out with me. I know I'd be pissed if I walked into the woods to hunt a stand and someone was in it. Granted - it shouldn't BE on state land to begin with but me hunting it doesn't make it right either. 2 wrongs don't equal 1 right.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was not doing something illegal...you are right not the best analogy......but just because i put a stand up on public land doesn't give you the right to use it....if there are laws to prohibit placing a stand there then call the proper authorities to let them take it down.....but buttom line; it is not yours and you have no right using it!!!

better analogy......i have read posts of guys who shoot a deer...give it time, go and retreive it only to find another hunter has taken it, and say that this is wrong.......if you say it is ok to sit in someone elses stand because it is on public land than how is another hunter taking the deer any different??? both on public land...both put up or "taken" by someone else....
Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

A hang-on stand and a permanent stand are not the same thing. A hunter who sits in a stand he did not place has a major problem with ethics.I guess this is one of those unwritten rules that most folks know and understand. If you trim shooting lanes than you are breaking the law just like the guy who put his stand up a couple of days ago. I hunt public land and am really surprisedhow many of you think it is OK to foul anothers stand. I see an awful lot of screw in steps and really don't think they have much impact on the woods as a whole although I sure would not wanna hit one with a chain saw.
I got a bunch of stands and set-ups and I invite people to hunt them with my permission.I just want to know when they do so I can adjust accordingly. I also have a spot I hunt where the squirrels have built a nest in the guys folded up seat. I don't think it has been sat in years. Rock on guys and straght shooting.(From your own stand)
Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 PM

In PA it is illegal to put up stands that are permanent on state lands. Stay out of them. Also you do not know how safely they are built. I would stay out of them for safety sake.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

It's public land, 1st come, 1st served.
Climbers only (MD), I would not sit in an illegal chain on, but I may drop it to the ground if I want to hunt the tree (with My climber)

Once again, it's public land, You can not "claim" a spot.

Slack
Old 10-31-2006, 05:33 PM

Hey Planter, you and I agree on most points here but If I'm not mistaken you mentioned that you trim shooting lanes as well, which techchnicallymakes us all law breakers because I don't know any serious deer hunter who doesn't do this. If done minimally it hurts nothing.
You mentioned hitting a tree step with a chainsaw. Yes, that plays hell on the chain and could cause kick back to the operator, resulting in injury.[:@]But tree steps left in a tree over time does absolutely no harm to a tree, in fact a tree will grow over such foreign material such as fences, ect. I know what harms trees and what doesn't because I'm an Arborist by trade (27yrs). We install support cables in trees which involves drilling, and turning in steel lags that hold the cables in place.Even minor scaring from climbing stands doesn't harm trees. Just thought I'd mention these things.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

the stands that i observed had the screw in steps in the tree and over grown some so the steps have been there a while .The stands are hang ons to clarify the situation . I'm going to opt to hunt another spot seeing i see posts where people think the way to settle it is with the gun. This type of thinking questions me as to whether they should be hunting with a gun
Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

generally in minnesota you can trim shooting lanes. you just cannot cut down a tree over 4 inches wide 4 feet off the ground. i think it's 4 feet. never seen anywhere that said you couldn't trim shooting lanes. does it actually say you can't somewhere?

my point is simply, things would be a lot simpler for everyone if nobody claimed spots by leaving/building stands on public land. The regs are definitely shifting that way. I'm glad! If people followed those rules we wouldn't be having this discussion. get a light climber people, it's not that hard to bring a stand in with you!

Quick Reply: public land with stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.