Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 public land with stands >

public land with stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

public land with stands

Old 10-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: public land with stands

If you are lugging in a stand everytime you hunt then you must be hunting real open woods or makinga heck of a lot of noise. I have a lot of trouble imagining most guys who hunt public land are setting up the day they hunt. I sure can't get my 17 pound summit into the woods quietly in the dark. I have lots of places ready to go but I still set the stand up prior to hunting there. Love hunting when I can wave to the guy in the tree next to me but I guess that's why they call it public land.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

In MD where I hunt, hanging a stand on public land is illegal. My buddies and I have found several stands over the years in the public hunting area we hunt in. We mark the spot with our GPS, call DNR, and let them do the rest.

Some of these guys are so stupid that they actually call DNR to report the stolen stand and end up with a nice big fine!

Although I have heard of other guys taking a different approach to getting rid of the permanent stands in the public hunting area, I prefer to do things legally.

-Rick C.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

If I find a stand on public land I just leave it and go on to another spot. Its not mine and I would never hunt it.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:13 PM

I carry my Lone Wolf climber (14.5lbs) every time I go into the woods. And trust me when I say, I do itvery quietly! It's real quiet setting it up as well. This all comes with PRACTICE.I also have many different stand sites that I hunt from, having the trimming already done weeks ahead of time.
In Pa, where I live it's not legal to hang stands and leave them in the woods. This being said, I will admit I'll leave my stand over night if I KNOW I'll be there again before first light the next morning.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I must be misunderstanding you Rick.. "Hanging a stand on public land is illegal" ? Your calling the feds cause someone has a stand in a tree? The more I think about it Iguess I am breaking the law. You say these guys are stupid enough to report the stands stolen? Your not taking them are you Rick?
I also know it is against the law todamage trees on public land.That would also mean no clearing of shooting lanes with your clippers or saw. I guess I do that as well but I don't know any bow hunters who don't.
There is a happy medium between a permanent stand and a guy who prepares ahead of time. I'm just suggesting I hang my stand beforethe day I hunt there and I can't believe a fellow sportsman would sit in it or take it or mess with it in any way.I have had a few stands stolen and they were takenby thieves not sportsman.
Personally I can't stand it when a guy thinks he can lay claim to the woods by keeping a stand up forever. I sure won't sit or touch his stand but I might hang one close by to take advantage of the situation. A man's stand is like his castle..
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 PM

Planter, I agree 100%, I see stands left up for the season all the time [:@]and I wouldn't even entertain the thought of taking one or even damaging one. Like I said though, if it's in an area I want to hunt and there's nobody in it, I'll hunt the area.Most of my spots are further backin more secluded areas than most of the other bowhunters are willing to go.
Notice I said "bowhunters", there's no gun hunting in the State Park where I hunt. Ya gotta luv it, not a whole lot of pressure. Yes, like you said, by law you can't cut or otherwise damage trees, plants or shrubs. A little trimming goes unoticed though.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

i know your not supposed to have a stand like that there.but its not yours so dont use it.hang a stand close by but dont sit in the other one.good hunters dont do that.just think if you saw someone in yours would you like it?i think not..........
Old 10-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Michigan you can put up a treestand and leave it there for the season as long as youdon't attach it with nails or other means that would destroy the tree.
You also have to have it clearly mark with your name , address and license number , by the end of the season you must remove it.
If you happen to put your stand on public and state land where they allow hunting and somebody elsehappensto be init when you get there , you can inform him or her that it's your stand but you can't make them get out of it.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:57 PM
neb
Typical Buck

In the state that I live it is illegal to leave a stand in the tree you have to take it down and can not be left up on state lands. If I findthem I call the game warden. It is public not one mans tree. Everyone should play by the rules and no excuss for not knowing.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

stay out, and bring your own.

Quick Reply: public land with stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.