Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 public land with stands >

public land with stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

public land with stands

Old 10-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default public land with stands

I recently did a little scouting on some public land because i'm doing a job close by and i figured if i get done early i'd slide out for a hunt for a couple of hours. While looking i came across a couple of stands people had hung out.Now you are not supose to put out permant stands on state land but they are hung there anyway. My question is this what is the protocol for stands on state land can i go there and use them seeing it would make it easier to get in and set up?I would just come down and call it a day if somebody showed up but they probably won't seeing i would be there during the week in the afternoon when most are at work.
what do you think i should or shouldn't do
Old 10-29-2006, 11:51 AM

Default RE: public land with stands

They aren't your stands.

Stay out.

Those people did the scouting, did the hanging, did the work.

You happened upon them by chance.

Stay out of them.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

+1 for staying out of them. I know I'd be ticked if I saw someone in my stand whether it legal or not. You don't want a confrontation.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

if someone is dumb enough to leave a stand on public property they shouldn't be surprised to have people hunt it (or take it). you simply cannot leave stand on public land. that spot isn't yours to claim. i hate when people do that.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

if its there anyone can use it
Old 10-29-2006, 02:53 PM

why not use it it is on "public" land were i hunt ever one uses ever ones stands whats is the matter with that
Old 10-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I've run into a couple and teh hunters gave me permission to use them.One isa real nice metal ladder one from Cabelas. It's one mile from the road and the fellow quit hunting and left it out there.
Normally though..leave the stand alone and hunt somewhere else. I run into stands all the time.

I ran into this problem today...I scouted 2 areas out in case someone is at my other place.Public Land..the 2nd place looks awesome but I found one nice tree and it had climbing marks all over it. and freshly cut limbs.

next week starts a new set of hunters { new quotas}so I think I would be ok to use the tree..Just in case ,I prepared firing lanes and a big pine tree about 150 yds from the marked up tree.. Tough call.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

So... If I set up a stand on public land a day or two before Ihunt there it is fair game for someone else to sit it? I gotta believe many of us hunt public lands and set up prior to the day they hunt. If your not set up prior to the morning you hunt then yah got lots to learn. That's about as unethical as you can get.If you do sit in someone elses stand do us all a favor and take a big dump and throw the stand on the ground on your way out so at least the guy knows his spot is tainted. I have been to stands I set and found cigarette butts under the tree.
I think the rule of thumb is if you did not put it up don't sit it. I can't imagine that is acceptable anywhere whether on public land or not. I don't know many guys who would take kindly to finding someone in their stand at first light. Could cause trouble.
But.... I know stands that have been up since last season and have never been tended. I have no problem hunting in those areas but never in the stand. Putting a semi-perm stand up on public land does not give you long term ownership of the site. Do your own scouting and put up your own stand.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:54 PM

The landmay bepublic property, the stand however, is not.

Whether it is legal or illegal to leave them hang, two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:07 PM

Planter, I think having a set up is one thing but hanging a stand there before you're actually hunting there is another, on public land. This kind of thing is, for all intents and purposes, "staking your claim", which on public land is NOT RIGHT![:@]
What I do, which includes scouting, is find a good spot and a tree in that area to hunt. Trim shooting lanes, clear a little area around the base of the tree so I can be quiet setting up and then when I come back I just use my climber and hunt.
Public land is first come first serve! If I run across a pre hung stand in the area I intended to hunt, you can bet I'll hunt there if nobody else is in a standnearby. I won't hunt out of someones stand though. I work just as hard at finding good spots to hunt as the next guy.

Quick Reply: public land with stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.