Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you pass this buck? >

Would you pass this buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you pass this buck?

Old 10-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Would you pass this buck?

no i wouldnt shoot it.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah... corn is still up.. just startin to get picked. Goin back out this weekend... hoping for the best.
For those of you that wanted to see the pics of the bigger bucks.. I have a few on my father's computer.. but I don't know where my sister moved them too.. I'm gonna have to ask. The biggest deer were on real film.. and not digital... If I can get them scanned I'll see if I can't get them posted.. but in the mean time.. here are a couple that I found...

Old 10-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Nice thread! The responses show us just how hard it is for a buck to make it to maturity.

Yes. I personally would pass on him. But of course it all depends on the situation. It is very early in the season, and you are allowed only one buck. Also, that buck I don't believe would make pope & young (which is my personal standard). I have 2 Illinois buck tags and one Indiana tag and I still would have passed on him at this point in the season. However, if it was late season and I had not tagged anything it would be a different story. Of course it all depends on the quality in your area too.

If a guy wants to shoot a real wallhanger he's got toget used to passingin these situations. It took mefour 123"-124" bucks before I finally decided I was going to shoot a P&Y deer. Then I got two straight. Now it's easier to pass. To this day, I do not regret holding off an any of those bucks.

Of courseluck is always a factor and I hope it goes in your favor and your action is rewarded byseason end. I think it will be.

This is very true... Thanx for thevote of confidence.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, I would pass. First thing I look for is inside spread. I want 20" and above. Next is the tine size and mass. These ares my standards in my choice hunting places. Some of the places here in NC I may lower them but lately those standards are paying off because we have been seeing more and more 18" spread deer. Later in the year, yes I may shoot him. For those who ask why, the big boy may show at anytime during the rut. So it's better to wait.