Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thoughts on a beginner bow ? >

Thoughts on a beginner bow ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thoughts on a beginner bow ?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 AM

Default Thoughts on a beginner bow ?

I am a beginner when it comes to bow hunting.I've come across a few of intrests but this one is so far the best one.specially for the price.Wondering if anyone can take a look at it double check and let me know what they think about it.If you don't beleive its worth it than please tell me.i know the brand is good,but not sure of the actual product itself.Im in need of one and i don't have the largest wallet as of now.thanks for the help.only going for white tail .. and maybe some target shooting/practice during off season.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/Deerhunter/deerhunterpkg.htm
Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on a beginner bow ?

I've put a lot of these kits together at the store and will be honest with you. The bow is very slow by today's standards. The type of limb on this bow is prone to more than it's share of failures. The rest, sight and other accessories are about as cheap as you can get---all plastic.

It may be a good starter bow, but that's about it. Personally I think you'd be better off looking for a decent used outfit of higher quality.

PSE doesn make some good bows, but not until you get into the $500 and up range---for a bare bow. That's my opinion, based on years of experience.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 AM

JHJames20,

I took a look at the set up in the link you provided. I will give you an honest assessment from my perspective.

The PSE line are good quality bows. I have owned two. I currently shoot one, a Firestorm lite. The bow you ae looking at, as a package is 350.00. That is very inexpensive for a bow package.
---------------------------------
The first thing I noticed was that the bow is 38" ATA. That is a fairly long ATA for a hunting bow. It is not unmanageable, but I think you would be happier with something a little shorter.
The IBO rating is 265 fps at 65# ( the bows max ). I have a problem with a bow that slow. By todays standards, that is very slow. IBO standards are based on 70 lbs, but that bow cannot make 70 lbs. Once you rig it out for hunting, you will probably be around 200 fps. AMO.
The next "problem" is that the bow is only a 65% letoff bow. Most bows today are either 65 or 80 % ( adjustable ), usually set at 80 % from the factory. That means that whatever weight you are pulling, you would hold 35 % instead of 20 %. So you would have to hold more weight before the shot.
If I had to say one way or the other, I would say to wait and save just a bit more money and buy one a little better. The Alpine Frontier package right next to it was on sale and only cost 50.00 more. It is a better bow, and has 80 % letoff, 295 fps IBO, and I believe was a 35 " ATA bow. and can make 70 lbs. By comparison, that package is significantally better.

I believe that if you got the PSE package you would like it for a littlewhile, but you would soon wish you had gotten something a little more updated. That Alpine can last you a long time, for only 50.00 more. I would consider that 50.00 a wise investment.

One other option would be to invest that 350.00 in a good used bow. You can find them set up ready to go for that kind of money. They might be a couple of years old, but that would still be better than that slow , low poundage , low letoff, long ATA PSE package.

Oh, and if you think I am kidding about finding a good used bow for the same money........ I bought my PSE from a guy who managed a Bow shop. He was switching to Bowtech. He had rigged this bow out and shot it for 4 months, through that hunting season. I bought the bow, with a whisker biscuit, wrist sling, stabilizer, sight, loop, peep, and silencers for 300.00 cash. I had to buy my arrows , quiver and release. The bow was in mint condition. Now you might not find that exact deal, but a good used bow would still be a better deal, that is if you did not like that Alpine Frontier package.

Hope I helped you.

God Bless
Old 10-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the previous two...it is a good start bow, but you will quickly out grow it. It might be a good investment to see if you will like bow hunting, then when you decide you do or don't turn around and sell it to get something better.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 AM

It's too expensive you can get that particluar bow cheaper than that else where. Look around. You can get a nice Alpine package for that same price.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 AM

Ok, I did some quick looking, and instead of the PSE from hunters friend, for 350.00, you can go to bass pro shops and look at the Fred Bear Element package. It is a much better bow, and it is shorter ATA, 75% letoff, IBO around 300 mfps, and as a package deal it is 360.00.

Thats an up to date , much better bow, for 10.00 more than you were going to spend on the PSE package at hunters friend. There are other deals like this one, you just have to look around. You can get the Alpine Frontier package, according to Alpines magazine ads for 400.00 just about anywhere. I just read a review on that particular bow, not 5 minutes ago. The guy doing the review loved it.

Just do yourself the favor of going to Bass pro and looking at that bow and its specs, and then look at the PSE and its specs, you will come away with a new idea of how to spend the best 10.00 extra of your life.

Hope I helped