Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

For a "beginner"

Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default For a "beginner"

Ok guys...

I know there is a lot of experience here, with stuff that a experienced compound shooter gets confused on....

I have a Bear 45# 60" recurve that I want to shoot more....I plan on getting a dacron string made from LBR after the holidays...

What are the more crucial tips and setup techniques I need to learn for my journey with trad gear to possibly drag it out in the woods in a year or two?

Arrows.... what is best for a newbie to learn and to be functional with??? I am thinking aluminum and 2018's seem to be the correct spine for my bow. What should I target practice with? Field points? Bheads??

Should I try to bareshaft tune my bow right away? If so what are the steps?

What other things do I need to get / and need to worry about??

Sorry to be a pest but at one moment it sounds fun and the next it sounds like I am out of my league!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: For a "beginner"

For that bow, 1916's should be fine, Maybe even 2016's with a heavier point. Unless you are an experienced finger shooter, I wouldn't worry about bare shafting right now. I remember when I started trad, I needed a 1816 arrow because my release was so bad. Now I shoot a 2018 with the same 53lb bow. Things will change as you do.

2016's are safe arrows to get, easy to sell if you need to change. 2018's will be way too stiff right now. If it was me, I wouldn't worry so much about tuning as much as working out a form.

I changed mine over and over. It was a bad thing to do. I started snap shooting, and everything else under the sun. I finally got soemthing I like real well.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC gave you some good info on arrows! Like he said, practice on your form, don't worry about accuracy, it will get better and better when you find your form! Don't over do it you'll pick up bad habits, your going to use muscles you've never knew you had. I loved shooting my Longbow so much all I wanted to do was shoot, shoot and shoot some more because it was so much FUN!!!!!! I had to hold myself back at times!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say 1916's would be your best bet. Practice, practice, practice, practice!!! Get yourself some consistent form and anchor points shooting field tips. If you decide you want to take It hunting get some broad heads on It and practice with them on. It takes time and It might get frustrating at times but man Is It fun to do. If you get frustrated, walk away and shoot again the next day. Frustration and traditional bows don't go hand In hand when practicing. At least with me they don't.

Good luck!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, I'm pretty much always agreeing with BC on arrows. Personally, I find a little less spine then what is called on works best for me, so if it were me I'd start with the 1916's also.

Just start flinging and don't worry about tuning at all right away. Start with basic nock points, stances, anchors, etc.

Basically you can only tune as well as you can shoot, so don't worry about right now or even a few months.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all of the info so far! I just hope to have some fun with that bow, it is too pretty just to be hanging on the wall and never used!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM
bigcountry

Man, I tell ya what is invaluable. And thats someone that knows what they are doing. Someone that can watch you and give you pointers. Instead of trying every form known to man.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

Thanks for all of the info so far! I just hope to have some fun with that bow, it is too pretty just to be hanging on the wall and never used!

I've got a good feeling once you start shooting that bow there will be a different bow hanging on the wall that will never get used! That what happened to me!