Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 thoughts for a beginner? >

thoughts for a beginner?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

thoughts for a beginner?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Spike

Default thoughts for a beginner?

This year Ive decided I want to try to pick up a traditional bow for the next season and try to take a couple deer. Ive never shot a recurve much, but want a good platform to start out on. What do you all think of the reflex nomad or hoyt game master? Theyve got the nomad on sale at cabelas and I really like the look of this bow, and figure I would be spending around a $100 difference between that and the cheapest bow I can find. Which Id rather have performance over looks, but hoyt does have a pretty good reputation. Do you guys think this bow would be suitable for a beginner. I shoot my compound at 73lbs at a 27.5 in draw length, what should I look for in a recurve? Your information would help a ton, this looks like something I would really enjoy I just want to start out on the right foot. Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: thoughts for a beginner?

For starters you'll loose an .5 - 1" in DL. You will want to drop your DW big time, I wouldn't start out with anything over 50#, thats what I did and I almost could of started out with 45#. I took my time and was very set with my practice and getting my form in order! This is very important, accuracy will come in time with good form, shoot he same way every time you shoot! You be sore in places you never have shooting a compound! Luckily for me I REALLY enjoyed shooting my Longbow so much as I shot it just about every day since Jan to be ready for spring Turkey and then even more for deer season! Its good fun, so much so I'll be hunting with Trad gear here on out! There will be some other guys with some great info for you as well, much more informed than I, I just started shooting with Trad gear this year, and LOVE IT! The trad community as a whole is a different group of folks that I'm proud to be associated with as you'll find out! Good luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, just as BHF said keep It light on your 1st bow. Get your form down good and learn your anchor and release to where Its consistent all the time In the same exact spot. Once you get that stuff going good your headed In the right direction. Practice , practice, practice man!!!! It's fun practice though!!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Really, don't worry about a performance trad bow for your first. Most of the time it'll only mean it is more sensitive to human errors. As others mentioned, you'll loose about an inch of draw (some more, some less). Try to find a bow that is around 40-45 pounds at your draw for your first. Once you really get your form down, then maybe look for something difference that you MAY way want. With that reasoning, I'd go with a used bow for your first.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am in the same boat as you except I already have a bow. I have a old but great condition45# Bear Kodiak I recieved from a family member some years back...I definitely plan to shoot and shoot with it and **hopefully** become proficeint with it to carry while hunting, but that is not my primary goal only a derivitive of the learning and muscle building that it will provide. Good luck!