Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think he went nocturnal......now what? >

I think he went nocturnal......now what?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think he went nocturnal......now what?

Old 10-22-2006, 04:59 AM

Default I think he went nocturnal......now what?

I have been hunting the same area for a couple years....last year I had an older buck that was tearing up my area with scrapes and rubs....this year, there was nothing, until this week...I now see that he is still around...found my first rubs and scrapes....so I decided to hunt it this week....nothing, but when I come back the next day, there would be fresh sign......so my question is, where should I look to find him in the day?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I think he went nocturnal......now what?

If he is an older buck, and therefore somewhat smart, you have to be careful. Obvious I know. I hate when deer go nocturnal, especially when you hunt all day and can see new rubs that they put in overnight.

Anyway, I think you are left with 2 choices:
1) wait for the peak of the rut, when he will be active during the day.
2) Somehow, set up stands closer to where he beds down. Then somehow get in those stands without being detected, and hunt them at first light and dusk.

Just my rambling,

Old 10-22-2006, 05:55 AM

Well....let me assume that he is older....I have been after him for 2 years....and judging by the size of the rubs, scrapes and prints my Dad and I have seen, I would expect him to be at least 4 years old.....which is a big deer for around my area.....the area that I am seeing his signin now is about 200 yards from where he was going off last year....but this area seams too " open " for him to come out to in the day....its hardwoods.. but not as thick as other areas....I hunt an area that is hardwoods and swamp....and only part of it is public....but nobody goes in there....I think maybe waiting for the rut might be my best shot....Thanks for the tips guys!!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best method to hunt an old smart wallhanger is to not go anywhere near him until the rut starts. I'm not saying you can't shoot a big deer before the rut, I just think your chances increase three fold when the rut rolls around. And even better if the Big guys think they have a "no pressure" zone when they go stupid love sick. The problem with the old guys is they have been through many seasons and know all the signs to hunting season coming around. The increased activity hanging and checking scouting cameras, scouting, hanging stands, etc, causes them to go nocturnal. Next year stay out of his core area until the rut starts.

One thing thatdoes work is to get the deer used to you.One methodis if you have a 4-wheeler take an easy rideaccross youraccess trails year round.The deer will get used to you just riding by. For this to workyou can never ever jump off your 4-wheeler to shoot a deer or chase deer down with your 4-wheeler. You should not even slow down if you see a deer just keep riding by. If you or anyone else in your neck of the woods uses these tactics this will not work either. I hang and check trail cameras year round with my 4-wheeler, use it to carry stands in for hanging, and even ride it in to go hunting. Bedded deer just watch you pass by.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Get in early with a good spotlight!!!! LOL
Old 10-22-2006, 03:08 PM

Just a hunch, but sacrifice the middle of one day. Climb quietly or hang a stand near the thick part he beds in. Don't even get in your stand til about 9:30 AM, and sty in it til aboit 2:30 PM. Nocturnal deer tend to get hungry and mill around in the middle of the day, especially since there aren't many hunters in the woods during this time.