Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nocturnal?

Old 09-02-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Nocturnal?

OK, I've posted on here before that I really don't believe that wiley old bucks become nocturnal. Just makes no biological sense.

My reasoning, why don't does become nocturnal as well, they are pressured as much if not more than bucks. Heck, there are uaually does with the bucks when we shoot the bucks. No deer knows that the bullets are intended for the guy standing next to them.

Anyway, do you really believe it or is the nocturnal buck thing a myth?

Greg
Old 09-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nocturnal?

they dont become nocturnal out of the blue. the majority of bucks that GET big are nocturnal, and thus makes them not moving around when the hunters are around. the only time that they are vulnerable is during the rut. this is when most of the nocturnal bucks are taken. they are forced to move during the day. most nocturnal bucks are never even seen, hence they have a better chance at MAKING it to a mature buck.

at least i have never seen a buck just one day become nocturnal. hope this helps
Old 09-02-2004, 10:21 AM

I agree with daystalker. Big bucks get that big because they sense the pressure of hunters, and move at night, except for the rut. I believe that the majority of does are bred by big bucks at night. The big boys cruise during the rut looking for does during daylight hours. However, I think the big bucks still sense hunting pressure during the rut, and still move more at night. They maybe looking for love.....but they don't get big by being stupid!!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:33 AM

I read a report once that said if a deer (buck or doe) lives longer than 2 years you will never see them again. They are smart animals to an extent. The article followed a group of mature deer and watched their activity. Every year about a week or so before gun season started they migrated into a restricted area that was not hunted. After the season was over they went back to their previous terratory. I thought it was very interesting.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:53 AM

Finally, I agree with stalker22. That makes sense that both bucks and does become nocturnal. (or less accessible) Thus, there must be many nocturnal does that we doen't even know about because we can't tell them apart from the other does.

I'd love to read that report too.

Still, the fact remains that bucks become nocturnal because of hunting pressure. We see this because we hunt a particular buck. Does become nocturnal, but without some distinguishing mark, we'd never take notice.

That makes sense. Not supernatural bucks.

Greg
Old 09-02-2004, 05:48 PM

I agree also,I belive the older a deer gets buck or doe they understand hunting season.I belive when they see the weather change,and the presense of more people in the woods together they put 2&2 together.After all we are in there house.