Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting out of a blind without the mesh window? >

Shooting out of a blind without the mesh window?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting out of a blind without the mesh window?

Old 10-08-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Shooting out of a blind without the mesh window?

A friend of mine recently purchased a Ameristep Doghouse. We were practicing through the mesh, and both of us had trouble drawing without our elbow raking against the wall opposite the window we are shooting out of. Normally, I am shooting out of a DB Matrix, so I have no worries. We removed the window mesh, and were shooting fine with our arrows extending out of the window. His question for me, which I now forward to you, is does it matter that we are shooting without the mesh? I am thinking there may be a problem with the "black hole effect" but I was alsothinking that if you wear camo inside the blind, then you should, probably, break up the black with you camo pattern.
I was also thinking that he could open the window on the window oppostire the one he is shooting out of, extend his arm out that window, and shoot through the mesh, since he wont have the wall behind him to hinder his drawing.
I should note that he isnt opening the large main window, rather he is opening the small one which is in the center of the wall, only about 16"x24".
I told him he should have bought a DB Matrix, but he just didnt want to listen! [>:]
Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting out of a blind without the mesh window?

The only problem with opening the back window is you'll be back lit and if they look at you they'll catch the movement.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 PM

Instead of drawing from front wall to back wall, draw from corner to corner. You've got more room.

Oh, I just shot one Friday evening out of a Matrix....It's cool!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 PM

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. What about shooting with the front window open but the back window closed?
Thanks Rob!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey campo do you hunt the same ridges as turkeys basically? ya been seeing ne bucks on elk creek?
but i got a doghouse too and i had deer during turkey season lookin "the hole" but know i only oopen the window a little bit and cover it with sticks and such,,, im also leaving it in one place for the season so the deer get used to it
Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I purchased a ground blind this year so I could take both of my boys hunting with me this year. We went out a couple of weekends ago and I just had a hard time seeing through the mesh especially near dusk. On the next trip I will probably just take the mesh down and keep the back windows closed. My blind has a really nice opening in the top which lets in some good light, maybe too much if I take the mesh screens down so I will need to experiment some. I think it will work just fine if we wear our camo and head gear. We'll see.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Spike

I have a ground blind just like the dog house. I draw back first from corner to corner then swing to the mesh. Works good. I even had my daughter with me one night and we harvested a doe together.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The trick to hunting out of these ground blinds is to keep as many windows CLOSED as you can especially the ones behind you. Only open the windows that you need to in order to make the shot, similar to clearing sooting lanes for your treestand. Also, if it is black lined on the inside like most are, wear black clothing especially on your hands and face and sit as far back from the windows as possible. And as others have said, sit in one corner and shoot out of the opposite corner, it will give you quite a bit of extra room to draw and shoot.

And yes if you can afford it, get a Double Bull Matrix. I have 3 blinds (1) DB T5 , (1) Ameristep Brickhouse (junk IMO but cheap) and (1) DB Matrix. The Matrix is by far my favorite.