Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Control and Concealment. >

Scent Control and Concealment.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control and Concealment.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scent Control and Concealment.

Okay guys and gals, I want to tell a little story of my hunt this morning and raise a couple questions as well as some awareness. Seems in many threads concerning either camouflage or Scentloc/ScentBlocker clothing, Scent Elimination sprays, Gum o Flage or just basic human heigene we get those guys that say, I don't do anything and I can kill deer with my bow. Yes, that's prolly true but how many deer are they not seeing or blowing out of the area.

We all know we cannot eliminate human odors entirely from our bodies, we can however reduce them to an acceptable level. Also, IMO I feel open pattern camouflages like Predator, ASAT and the new Enigma are far more effective in breaking the human outline and hiding said person. Okay, on to my hunt.

I was set up in a oak near a bedding area, at the far end of the CRP field that contains my food plot seen here.

I didn't see any deer until 8:30 and I had deer around me until I decided to get down within eye sight of a maternal doe. Why, to test Enigma.

Anyhow, I had does and fawns circling the area most of the morning when I saw this mature doe move in behind me in the CRP field. She was coming straight at me, directly down wind. At 52 yards (rangefinder) she stops and proceeds to stare at the base of the tree I am in for exactly a half hour. She stood in one spot for an entire half an hour looking for me, trying to wind me. I couldn't believe it, I had my back to her and every now and again I'd turn to see her ears sticking up, swiveling, head up in the air, stretching her nose upward trying to wind me, staring a hole through the base of the tree I am in and standing there, just standing there all most completely still for over a half hour. Imagine.

Now, how could I get away with having a mature doe wind me yet not find me and not spook. It's easy, whitetails unless they live in an area void of humans will accept some level or human odor. If they didn't they'd be on the run all the time, literally especially in my area here. I know that I cannot eliminate my human odor although my wife tells me I always smell good, I'd bet that doe would disagree. I'm very fanatical about my scent when I go to my bow stands. My cloths are washed in hunters detergents, I am fanatic about my breath, teeth and mouth. I brush alot and use mouthwash and take extra care during the season. I shower before the hunt with hunters shampoo and soaps. I wear Scentloc Base Slayers with an overlay of ScentBlocker. My outter clothes are sprayed down with Scent Killer. I use unscented deoderants and I spray down again once I reach my stand. Why? Because of this doe. If I did very little I know she would have blown and took most of the deer in the area with her but she didn't, she stood there and was still there when I got down.

Yes, I got down. Enigma is a new pattern. All the research, field stories and users stories are all coming in positive and amazingly. When I purchased my suite I told the inventor that I will put it through the paces and report back. If it fails I will tell him, if I have success's I will tell him and so far, nothing but success. As it evolves I feel it's going to be one of the best. I digress,

I stood in the stand with this mature doe down wind of me, trying to find me, the source of what she thinks she smells. As I stood there I glassed her from time to time. I decided to tease her. As see stared at the base of my tree I decided to wave my arms like a bird. When I did this I was glassing her and watched as her eyes went from the base of my tree to me, okay she caught my movement. When I stopped moving she would again, look at the base of my tree wondering what is going on. It was obvious to me that when I stopped moving, I disappeared. I was glassing her and she'd look around and then look at the tree. I'd wave my arms again and she'd look up but when I stopped she'd either look down or look away. Now, that's all about an open pattern and I wonder if the store shelf patterns would work this well. I doubt it with the experience I've had in the past with those patterns. I'm convinced that open patterns like the Enigma camo that I was wearing as well as Predator and ASAT allow movements. Think about how nervous you get when a deer is in bow range and your afraid to stand or move or draw. When I was tired of messing with her I decided to get down. I lowered my bow, I lowered my back pack and dropped the rope. I turned expecting her to be gone, nope, stood there, same spot looking. I started climbing down, in doing so I had to circle the tree on her side, she stood there directly down wind. As my feet hit the ground she no longer could see me and as I snuck out I'm convinced she was still there, never spooking.

Moral of the story, I'm convinced after 25 years of bowhunting, wearing just about every conceivable pattern and maturing in scent elimination, that we make our own success's. Yes animals will be killed wearing anything and everything and yes they will be killed by people paying no mind to their scent but how many of you can honestly say that you could have a mature doe down wind, wave at her and climb down in her presence and never have her spook. She's not the first one for me, Last Saturday my friend Kurt and I sat side by side and had not one but 3 buck and 3 doe directly downwind without spooking and without being seen.

Just something to think about. You can kill deer but I wonder how many you don't see, spook or could have if you mind what you wear and do?

Okay, pick away.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Scent Control and Concealment.

I have had similar things happen to me Rob, and I couldn't agree more with you. I do think taking the extra steps to control your scent and using an open pattern such as Enigma, ASAT or Predator will allow on to see more animals. Yes I'm sure we'll hear about those stories of how this guy just came from working on his car and had gas and oil on him and was only wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt and short a 160 class buck all the while the buck was down wind of him. yes those things have happened, but I believe those are the exeption not the rule.

As far as effectiveness of an opencamo pattern, today I stalked within 15yards of a flock of turkeys today while wearing my Enigma Camo. helping to prove to me that this stuff works not only on deer but on turkeys too. The only reason the turkeys spooked off was that I stepped on a stick Or I believe I would have gotten much closer.[:@]
Old 10-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Great post Rob. I also follow the hardcore scent control routine that you do. I have also had many experiences in my many, many years of bowhunting very similar to the one that you shared, and because of that, I am a die hard Predator camo hunter. I have used it for years, and so has my hunting buddy. Even after all these years, it still never ceases to amaze me they way it just blends into any terrain. I think that the best example was years ago when the viewfinders on video cameras were still black and white, we were in a tree with double stands filming our hunt. He was literally about 7 feet below me. When I was filming him ( as I said, he was in Predator, either Fall Brown or Fall Gray), I honestly could not see him in the view finder. The only way I could see him was when he would move. We have also watched the footage of us in hunting on a black and white TV, and again it was amazing how the Predator just disappears. Have someone wear Fall Brown and stand in a brown corn feild and see how hard it is to find them. I agree with you 100%, the open patterns such as Predator, ASAT, what I have seen of Enigma, etc are truly amazing. They definitely never blob up the way that the other brands do.
I will stick with my Predator, it has never failed me yet. I better, since I have enough stuff to open a Predator store!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

your clothing cost more than my bow!! if i had the cash for good gear id definently have it. i know its worth it and can make or break a hunt. could be the big one that catches your wind or crosses your trail etc. but till then i use what i got...and try to hunt the wind and keep my scent minimal. i dont think i can climb out of a tree and not get busted with a deer down wind...but didnt you say that deers eyes were swollen shut and pusy with infection and it had no nostrils?? lol

good post rob. i know how many deer i dont see or bust me... they keep making a loud SHWOOOO noise..i think thats a deer?? i dont know i never seen a deer before...maybe one day. ill never kill a deer with a BDU jacket on and NON matching camo pants of a various pattern of whatever pair i pick that day lol. when i do dont worry...my goal is to fry the new server by telling a 50pg story full of 1001 pics. picks of the acorns it was eating..pics of the tree it was by. pics of each hair on the body..you guys will know..if its a buck its all over for sure...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys,

PA Hardwoods, you couldn't be more right and your stalk on the turkesy is similiar to mowbowhntrs, he walked up on turkeys to 15 yards wearing Enigma.

Proff, right on, good camo, good scent control.

mauser06, lol my young friend, it'll come together.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that there are so many more deer that we never see because of being sighted, smelled, and heard while going to our stands and after being in our stands and that scent control is the biggest factor in our success.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too am a fanatic about scent control. I cannot believe how some hunters go into the woods and think the deer will not bust them. They might get lucky once in a while. I went to a deer hunting banquet back in Sept. and I couldn't believe how many of the people there were smoking. These were supposed to be deer hunters. When I got home I took my clothes off in the garage. I wondered to myself how many deer they had spooked when they go hunting.

One of your points was about deer accepting some level of human odor. I totally agree. That is why even if scent lock doesn't completely eliminate odors it still has to help. If it only blocks 50% the deer will think I am twice as far away as I really am. For a bowhunter that can make a huge difference.

As far as the camo type, I have a few different patterns such as new mossy oak breakup, realtree hardwoods, skyline apparition and treetop. So far this year I have not been spotted by a deer. It seems sometimes you can get away with quite a bit and other times they see you if you aren't moving a muscle. I do like the more open patterns like Apparition andTreetoplater in the season, when the leaves are gone.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Rob,I also follow a strict scent control regiment, and consistantly see alot more deer than my buddies who are lax and only count on cover spray, hell I won't even dry off with a towel unless it is scent free and if I drive, I have scent free car clothing just for driving in, which is changed once I get out of my car. I agree with the open patterns being better also. I have used Natural gear quite a bit and had great success. I am very interested in Enigma, great looking pattern.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have to go the extra mile if you want to get the big bucks for your area. Scent control should be a top priority. I go as neutral as possible and just try and blend in with the outdoors. I think alot of cover scents will key a deer in on you, not because they smell human but because it is so strong and concentrated. As far as the Enigma and Robs test, it sure would seem that there is something to it. Having said that I have had deer within 5 feet of me on several occasions with inexpensive but scent free camo on.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Yes, that's prolly true but how many deer are they not seeing or blowing out of the area.
Marketers all over the country drool at statements like this. Paranoia will cause people to throw endless amounts of money at stuff trying to find a magic potion to solve all their problems.

We all know we cannot eliminate human odors entirely from our bodies, we can however reduce them to an acceptable level.
What is "acceptable" Rob??.........and how can you ever know if you have obtained that? Is it the same for EVERY deer in EVERY situation??

Also, IMO I feel open pattern camouflages like Predator, ASAT and the new Enigma are far more effective in breaking the human outline and hiding said person. Okay, on to my hunt.
Agreed..........I think we are definately seeing the future of camo evolving to open patterns.........or 3D.

She was coming straight at me, directly down wind. At 52 yards (rangefinder) she stops and proceeds to stare at the base of the tree I am in for exactly a half hour. She stood in one spot for an entire half an hour looking for me, trying to wind me. I couldn't believe it, I had my back to her and every now and again I'd turn to see her ears sticking up, swiveling, head up in the air, stretching her nose upward trying to wind me, staring a hole through the base of the tree I am in and standing there, just standing there all most completely still for over a half hour. Imagine.

I wouldn't be too thrilled if she nailed you from 52 yards away with your back to a tree between you two.........especially considering all the precautions you take.

Now, how could I get away with having a mature doe wind me yet not find me and not spook.
Because you had a tree in between you and the deer. How do you know she "winded" you??...........Why would she be sniffing the air like crazy if she had already winded you?? Sounds like something else had her attention.

If I did very little I know she would have blown and took most of the deer in the area with her
No way for you to know that.

I decided to tease her. As see stared at the base of my tree I decided to wave my arms like a bird. When I did this I was glassing her and watched as her eyes went from the base of my tree to me, okay she caught my movement. When I stopped moving she would again, look at the base of my tree wondering what is going on. It was obvious to me that when I stopped moving, I disappeared. I was glassing her and she'd look around and then look at the tree. I'd wave my arms again and she'd look up but when I stopped she'd either look down or look away. Now, that's all about an open pattern and I wonder if the store shelf patterns would work this well. I doubt it with the experience I've had in the past with those patterns. I'm convinced that open patterns like the Enigma camo that I was wearing as well as Predator and ASAT allow movements.
Considering you were on the other side of the tree and all she could see was your arms.......if anything because the sun was in her face and you were in the shadows by the looks of your picture.......it's hard to say how much movement she could see.

When I was tired of messing with her I decided to get down. I lowered my bow, I lowered my back pack and dropped the rope. I turned expecting her to be gone, nope, stood there, same spot looking. I started climbing down, in doing so I had to circle the tree on her side, she stood there directly down wind. As my feet hit the ground she no longer could see me and as I snuck out I'm convinced she was still there, never spooking.
Obviously there was something else going on here..........a mature doe that stands there while the noise and motion of a large man coming down a tree is going on 50 yards away can not be considered normal..........at least I hope not, because if it is then hunting will become a lot less fun. I like knowing I have to be careful with my movements......I like knowing I can't make a sound........I like knowing I have to be at my best to go undetected. If I can put on some suit and make all the noise and motion I want and still have deer walking around what is the challenge to that?? Just walk up and shoot 'em if that can't see you anymore.

Moral of the story, I'm convinced after 25 years of bowhunting, wearing just about every conceivable pattern and maturing in scent elimination, that we make our own success's.
Agreed..........I don't think camo, clothes, or sprays are what makes that success though. You are set up over a food plot with deer all around you because they are coming to eat your food...........I think you may be attributing your success to things that are actually minor contributions. I bet you would do just fine right where you are in GI-Joe camo and a bottle of scent eliminator spray.

Yes animals will be killed wearing anything and everything and yes they will be killed by people paying no mind to their scent but how many of you can honestly say that you could have a mature doe down wind, wave at her and climb down in her presence and never have her spook. She's not the first one for me, Last Saturday my friend Kurt and I sat side by side and had not one but 3 buck and 3 doe directly downwind without spooking and without being seen.
Why is everyone so impressed with having deer downwind of them?? With basic scent precautions I have had deer up, down, sideways, and under me with the wind blowing in every direction. It's kind of a silly notion anyways because if you sit in your stand all day you will notice how many times the wind shifts or swirls throughout a hunt..........anyone who thinks the wind is a linear device is bonkers.

Just something to think about. You can kill deer but I wonder how many you don't see, spook or could have if you mind what you wear and do?
Paranoia...............without a doubt the absolute #1 driving force behind marketing deer hunting products. Preying on the lottery mentality of "What if"??

What do you say to someone who takes EVERY precaution that you take and has all the EXACT same stuff and doesn't see anymore deer or have anymore deer hang around downwind?? Does that prove your theories wrong??

Okay, pick away.

Just playing devil's advocate for ya Rob............Trying to show there can be 10 different explanations to every situation. I have thought that I had it nailed many times myself........and then I get busted the next day in the same situation. I have just seen so much variability and dynamic behavior from deer to ever take one isolated case at anything more then face value. Enigma may be the greatest camo ever..........only time will tell. One story about one deer on one day is really meaningless to me. I have had deer standing in spitting distance from me when I was wearing a full blaze orange pumpkin suit and they never saw me...........does that mean it is the ideal camo??........of course not.

Thanks for the cool thread..........nice hunting area too I am gonna check out Enigma after the Bills game.

Quick Reply: Scent Control and Concealment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.