HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent Control and Concealment.
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 AM
jmbuckhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control and Concealment.

I too am a fanatic about scent control. I cannot believe how some hunters go into the woods and think the deer will not bust them. They might get lucky once in a while. I went to a deer hunting banquet back in Sept. and I couldn't believe how many of the people there were smoking. These were supposed to be deer hunters. When I got home I took my clothes off in the garage. I wondered to myself how many deer they had spooked when they go hunting.

One of your points was about deer accepting some level of human odor. I totally agree. That is why even if scent lock doesn't completely eliminate odors it still has to help. If it only blocks 50% the deer will think I am twice as far away as I really am. For a bowhunter that can make a huge difference.

As far as the camo type, I have a few different patterns such as new mossy oak breakup, realtree hardwoods, skyline apparition and treetop. So far this year I have not been spotted by a deer. It seems sometimes you can get away with quite a bit and other times they see you if you aren't moving a muscle. I do like the more open patterns like Apparition andTreetoplater in the season, when the leaves are gone.