Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Quetion about thermals..need some help here >

Quetion about thermals..need some help here

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quetion about thermals..need some help here

Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Quetion about thermals..need some help here

alright ladies and gents..i have a question..that for some reason i can never remember the answer too...lol..I have a farm that I have permission to hunt. I have seen deer all over this place. The owner is a retired game warden and one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Anyway,,,,in the back corner. there is a long stand of trees about 35 yards wide. It is on the side of a hill and on one end is a watering hole, on the other is a creek bed and up the other side of the hill is a bedding area. My question is this. In the morning the thermals are traveling up or down hill. And in the evening they are traveling which way. I think this is what is killing me when I try to hunt this area. I cannot remember which is which on the thremals. I have a hard time getting into this area without spooking the deer and I have tried with every different wind direction and being as quite as possible.When I do get in there, I never seedeer..But,When Iwatch the area through my binos from a distance I see them moving through the funnel allthe time. Thermals are the only thing that I can think of that are killing me...I don't have scent loc or any thing..but, i havemy scent blocker and have not been winded yet I pay attention to everything. What do yall think.

Skeeter
Old 09-24-2006, 05:36 AM

Default RE: Quetion about thermals..need some help here

In the morning as the air warns up the thermals are traveling up and evening they go down as the air cools down ,,,,,hope this helps ya
Old 09-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quetion about thermals..need some help here

As okie said up in the AM and down in the PM. Could you be alerting them somehow on your way in? Have you been able to observe where they go after they come through this area to feed or bed? If it's a bedding area right next to a feeding area you could have a tough nut to crack!