Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting question >

shooting question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting question

Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shooting question

ok...you practiced as hard as humanly possible for 2 months straight. day in day out..practicing form and accuracy. making EVERY arrow count. (you practiced so hard you hurt your shoulder pretty bad and had to take a week off ha hummm mauser) your slamming shafts at 35yds....robin hooded at 15yds, shot another arrow at 25yds with a broadhead..broadheads dialed in shooting great out to 40yds. practiced from your stand out to 40yds and shot good still.

your hunting....a deer presents a good broadside shot at 16yds. this is your first year bowhunting...how hard is it to make the shot?? i know buck fever plays a HUGE roll..adrenaline is flowing like your 16 and..never mind lol....just curious to as how bad its going to be...my biggest fear is wounding a deer. i can shoot great...im very happy with my shooting..wont shoot unless i have a good shot and conditions are good. i just have a fear ill tourqe the bow or just totally pull a shot. any advice?? focus....concentrate..act like its not a live deer and try to remain calm?? how do you guys cope with it and MAKE the perfect double lunger?? rifle im fine...even my first year buck fever didnt set in till the second the gun went off...then i almost hypervenalated..it was bad!..but im so calm at the shot its not funny. and i know you guys will say they will be closer with a bow....that aint true. i killed 10 with a rifle. probably 6 or 7 were within my bow range...im used to close quarter hunting...curious to as how you guys make the shot....i hope all my practice makes it kinda natural to draw and make the shot..but we will see.....
Old 09-23-2006, 11:15 PM

Default RE: shooting question

Not that hard, or it wasn't for me.

I expected to shake horribly when I shot my first deer, having always shot them 100+ yards with the rifle.

Your instincts kick in when its time to get down to business though. You'll shake a bit before the shot, but once you draw back you'll be golden. Rock solid until you release that arrow then the adrenaline really flows. You'll have to sit down after the shot or risk falling out of the tree.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there will always be a little bit of nervousness in you. You have practiced quite a bit and that will pay off in the long run...I don't think you will have anything to worry about. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy your hunt! Best of luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

If you practiced well, it will pay off when you take the shot on a live animal. The old saying "you shoot like you train" also applies to the bow. Of course, there are a lot of variables that will play into the situation and Focus helps me more than anything. I practice to pick a spot on the animal and focus on only that spot and visualize my arrow going thru it. I don't stare at the antlers (that would really make me nervous). Once the shot presents itself I am mentaly prepared to make happen what I have already completed in my mind. Afterwards, I'm a nervous wreck
Old 09-24-2006, 12:07 AM

Mauser calm down man..lol..you will be fine. When a deer presents itself just make yourself do the same thing you do when you practice. part of good shooting is muscle memory..and you have that with shooting as much as you do..I honestly dont think you will have a problem with buck fever cause you have already been hunting for a while and knocked a few down.

skeeter
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Just as easy as shooting your target, except you are real excited. I can remember my first. I almost rushed the shot too much and spoked the deer. My best suggestion is to take your time and remember to watch his/her eyes. Dont let them see you, controle your breathing, and pick a spot on the deer. The worst thing you can do is shoot at an area on the deer, pick a patch of fur, a crease in the muscle, etc. It will help you focus and insure you get a good shot. When someone misses a deer, I alway ask them, "what were you aiming at"? They will always answer, " behind the shoulder". I then ask, "no, what were you focusing on, a muscle, hair, dark patch, etc." and they never know. That always tells me they were shooting at an area, not a particular spot on the deer.

One other suggestion, be sure of yourself. Do not worry about making a bad shot or wounding the deer. When you are sure of yourself, you will make good shots, if you are worried about a bad shot,,,,, Well Murphys law comes into play. Buck fever is probably as bad if not worse than with a rifle, just take your time and everthing will come out all right. Then the adrenaline rush after the shot is unreal. You will think time is dragging, dont jump right out of your stand, give the deer time to expire. Good luck and let us all know about that first deer your going to get this season.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys......i was feeling GREAT about this bowhunting stuff. then yesterday i looked at the calander..it was after midnight and it said SUNDAY. i was like WOW less then a week......i cant believe it. i been waiting to bowhunt pretty much my whole life. dad quit before i was old enough to start. then when i was 16 i bought 2 of my own vehicles....pay all my own bills etc. so it took me till now to finally buy a bow. just the reality sank in.

i really did do my part and you guys should know that. i shot over 2000 shots this summer. thats more then some guys shot in their lives. the last month been broadheads and walking ALL around the back yard from 5-40yds drilling my cardboard deer cutout from unknown distances.

im sure of myself....just dont wanna....choke/drop the ball..i think ill be ok...just keep myself cool and do what im there to do....

burnie.....you guys will know when i slam one lol.....im going to have my buddy rob pin my post to the top with a flaming banner.....i want EVERYONE to read it! lol. not just for everyone to say "oh congrats nice 46pt buck mauser"...but to thank everyone. i went into archery on my own....i bugged you guys for like THREEE seasons claiming to be buying a bow....never happened till now...then all the questions THIS season...you guys must be sick of me.......i owe you ALL a big ole thanks....i think a pic for EVERY member on the boards will be thanx enoughlol.....justin better get back here and upgrade the site how he plans.....
(if you guys try to get on the board and it doest work...well..i slammed one....and flooded the board and it melted down lol!!)
Old 09-24-2006, 05:52 AM

A good practice tip run in place till you get alttle out of breath Then take deep breath and shot practice shots I do this alot helps because your body is not relaxed Also when the time comes Just take a deep breath and yes focus on shot place ment and you'll do fine . Best of luck Hope ya get one!!