Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 quetion on deer "blow" >

quetion on deer "blow"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quetion on deer "blow"

Old 09-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default quetion on deer "blow"

you all know the familiar sound when the deer busts you, then the white flag goes up and then they're gone. But do they use it socially? Last night about 6:30I heard one blow about 100 yards or so to the south of me, & I know she couldn't see or smell me, then about 45 minutes later from out of the same direction the sound came, here comes this doe with her 2 in tow. They mingled around south of my stand about 50 yards before moving east and into heavier cover, They never knew I was there. So is this also used somehow as a social call?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: quetion on deer "blow"

Mastevt, they sure do. They use this as an alert to other deer reguardless of the specific danger, human or otherwise.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alot of times deer will make this noise as a social call. Like come here!! Or Dont come here!!!! You can replicate this call with any bleet or grunt call, It works well when over looking a field filled with deer,say at around 7:00pm as its starting to get dark. It can actually pull the deer towards you or it can help you get out of your stand unoticed. Its not a call I have used alot but it works when I have a bunch of deer around my stand area and its dark.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Had a couple does in my backyard earlier this summer. I wanted the wife to see them so I walked into the house to get her. When we came back out onto the deck, the does were in the woods. I grunted with my voice and nothing happened. I then 'blew' at them and they came right back into the yard, on high alert, but they came back.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't dismiss too that they are not blowing at you, could have been a total seperate incident, say a coyote near the deer and once the danger was gone, out they came. Don't assume that every deer you hear blow is blowing at you.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I knew she wasn't blowing at me, but I always thought that it was used to signal a warning, and nothing else. Learn something new everday, thanks again!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have watched two does at dusk staring at each other and blow at each other and do the stomp, head-bob dance. They were coming from two different directions on a logging road and just stared each other down and blew. I stayed in my stand as long as I could and finally I got down and quietly snuck away with them still staring each other down. They never noticed me.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey not to mention and I've used this once in the past that when you do bust a deer, not winded but if they blow at you, imitate it back, I've relaxed them with it and they've come to check out the other "deer".