Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who packs heat

Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 AM

Default RE: Who packs heat

In Michigan, it is illegal to carry a pistol, revolver, or any other firearm into the field while bowhunting deer, unless the individual is properly licensed to hunt deer with a firearm in an area that is open to firearm deer hunting. The prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a CCW. It does not allow game to be taken with the pistol except as provided by law. That is straight out of the 2006 Hunting and Trapping Guide.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/15579087.htmthis website goes into some detail as to the new indiana laws pertaining to the handguns during archery season. These are temporary laws at this point and are in the process of becoming permanent

Old 09-23-2006, 04:47 PM

It is perfectly legal to carry in PA, with either a sportsman firearm permit or a CC permit.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Springfield XD 40 with light attachment. Have a black bear sow and 2 cubs that have inhabited my hunting area. Don't plan on shooting her but don't want to take any chances getting between her and her cubs!

Also have walked up on a few skunks the last couple of years. In the dark walking to the stand.....well ....I don't want to use skunk scent as a scent control, not to mention rabies.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:38 PM

Glock 19...
Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 AM

Bear attack books? When most hunters are in the woods bowhunting, they're either walking silently or like a deer. That is contradictary tohow the experts say you should travel through bear country! In parts of Alaska, guides are required by law to carry a firearm when guiding bowhunters. Although that is more to keep a wounded bear from running loose than for protection.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Spike

Here in delaware you cant have one. I have a concealed carry permit and havemy glock .40in my truck when I am bow hunting. But when I get in the truck she is like a part of my body again. Here is what I go by. Rather tried by 12 than carried by six. I am ready for anything. Just cant afford not to have it these days. Old bambeklr will make it home every day!!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Talked to one of the CO's here in Indiana and its confirmed you are now allowed to carry a handgun while hunting with archery equipment for personal protection. He made it very clear though do not use your sidearm to dispatch a wounded deer. You can have your handgun concealed or exposed. It does not change the fact that you still have to have a Personal Protection Permit. To obtain one you will need to go to your local Law Enforcement office and fill out a application and supply them with the funds they need. Takes 4-8 weeks depending on how backlogged they are.

GLOCK 20 will be with me hunting this year.