Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Day-packs?

Old 03-12-2003, 06:13 AM

Default Day-packs?

What have you experienced hunters found to be the best and most affordable day-pack out there? Padded shoulders, waist belt, durable, comfortable, etc..

Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:57 PM

Default RE: Day-packs?

Hey Rook, I think I' m an exception to the rule, but I like a fanny pack. I don' t condition myself for a backpack the rest of the year, so after I wear one for a couple of days my back is killin me! 3 section fanny with suspenders holds all I need for downing an elk or being lost for a few days. I have a pack frame and back pack at camp if the need should arise. I carry a lot of different stuff in small quantities and restock every day. It weighs a little bit, but no backache. Price is right too.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:50 PM

I' ve been considering that as well Ace...not to mention I have MAJOR back problems to begin with!

Thanks for the response.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

With your back not being in the best of shape at this point in time, you might want to consider a combination daypack - fannypack. The pack can be used as a fannypack now, then when your back is better, you can take advantage of the daypack part of it. This pack is very comfortable and has padded shoulder straps as well as an adjustable belt. I' ve used this pack for both deer and elk hunting for 4yrs. It' s made of quiet saddle cloth, is waterproof and big enough (not bulky) for all day and then some. It has outside compartments for flashlight-knife&sharpner- water-leatherman. The fannypack part has two large pockets for food-elk bags- miscelaneous stuff, and still have the daypack part if needed. It folds up in front of fannypack out of the way. It' s made by Crooked Horn Outfitters, and is called the Non Typical, Cabelas sells it for 89.95. Elknut1
Old 03-15-2003, 10:34 PM

I also would recommend the crooked horn pack i have used this pack for about 4 seasons chasing everything from turkey to elk and would highly recommend it. Enuf room to carry a day or two worth of elk stuff yet not too big to overload it like most people do.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

Seems like dejavoo all over agin, but I like the Bianchi Endurance. Narrow to stay off limbs when yer tryin' to be quiet. Saddle cloth don' t scratch everthin' in sight. Whatever you git, watch the straps. They should be covered with a quiet material too. You' d be surprised how noisy nylon straps makes a backpack. Remember, stay narrow.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

bison packs bar none!
Old 03-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-18-2003, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Bumbag/Daybag combination, that can be zipped out into a 33 litre day pack. It' s made of canvas and Polar fleece. I don' t like to have my shoulders restricted, especially when a lot of climbing is involved.
Also I don' t like a pack hooking up in the scrub when I' m bush stalking.
The brand I use is Swazi and the model " Buffalo Bag"
The bumbag compartment has ample room for all my daily necessaries: Camera, Binoculars, Knife, Snack Food, Survival Kit. E-perb Beacon etc.
On smaller animals I can fit most of the choice meat cuts into the fold out pack, and sling the hind quaters over the top. Have found it very useful/functional and comfortable
Old 03-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Rook. You didn' t mention what your specific back problem was. I' ve had lumbar surgery from old parachuting injuries etc. and received disability from Uncle Sam. I engage in a rigorous exercises to maintain what' s left of my back. Having said all that I hunt elk in a very aggressive way at high altitudes.
Some thoughts.
1. Are you involved in some sort of rehab or active effort to strengthen your back?
2. Your pack requirements should correspond directly to what you' re hunting, elk vs. smaller game for example and how you intend to hunt. The more aggressive your style of hunting, how far away from camp you range, do you use horses? etc. will determine the type of pack and quantity of equipment carried.
3. If you don' t have horses and will potentially have to haul out a larger animal by hand, you may want to consider a pack frame like the Cabela' s Alaskan Guide series. You can use it to afix hind quarters, etc and still attach a back pack to it.
4. Several guys I hunt with use fanny packs. They ride on your hips and don' t put any compression forces on your lower spine.
5. Any pack you choose should have comfortable shoulder straps with a chest compression strap (pulls the shoulder straps toward one another and has lifts the straps up a bit off the shoulders).
6. It also should have a good wide waist band that fastens across the bottom of your belly. This will help distribute the load and further take the weight off of the shoulders. The waist band should be on your hips. If it' s up in the small of your back, it' s not properly fitted.
7. It also should have several compartments that allow you to get to specific items without having to unload the entire pack.
I spent my whole adult life humping a ruck in the Infantry. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Day-packs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.